NV Burge Family Wilsford VO Tawny "port"

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Burge Family Wilsford VO Tawny "port"

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not sure if this belongs here..if not please move.

This bottle has been on death row for a long long time. Come to think of it, I think this is my oldest bottle to survive on death row..over 2 years! From Grenache, Shiraz, and Mourvedre grapes. This is an Australia fortified wine from the above grapes and done in a solera style.

A very pale honey color with red highlights. Scents of roses, honey, and some candied yams. The palate is very thick and I so want to chew it. Flavors of honey and lots of maple syrup with strong acidity, but lacking complexity. Interesting, as its really thick on the palate but light at the same time. This makes it surprisingly easy to drink, unlike a PX. The finish is only medium/long in length. Although I enjoyed this, I don't see the 98 point score that Robert Parker gave it. Had there been better complexity I would have scored this much higher. I'd give it 90-91 points.

Moved from Port TNs by admin 16 Jan 2007