Wed 9 Sep 2015, Elizabeth II > Victoria, Boot & Flogger

What happened?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Wed 9 Sep 2015, Elizabeth II > Victoria, Boot & Flogger

Post by jdaw1 »

To commemorate Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II exceeding the late Queen Victoria’s record time on the throne, a select band of us, some subjects of Her Majesty, some not so blessed, gathered in the Boot & Flogger to drink ‘Port Fit for a Queen’. We did well.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Wed 9 Sep 2015, Elizabeth II > Victoria, Boot & Flogger

Post by jdaw1 »

On 10th July 2015, by ordinary ‘snail mail’ non-electronic post, jdaw1 wrote:Sir Christopher Geidt KCB, KCVO, OBE
The Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen
Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA
10th July 2015
Dear Sir Christopher,

On the 9th of September Her Majesty will surpass Victoria to become our longest-reigning monarch. Some friends and I, some loyal subjects and some citizens of allies, plan to celebrate this occasion with a Port tasting in SE1. The list of Ports is not yet fixed, but is likely to include some bottles from 1952, and some from other excellent years.

It has been reported that “The Queen’s hope is for a quiet day”, so we will celebrate quietly. We are very willing to host a representative of The Queen — whether a member of the Royal family, you, or somebody else — but we do understand that this is unlikely.

We wish Her Majesty the very best on the surpassing of Victoria’s sovereign record.

God save the Queen.

Julian D. A. Wiseman

† Planning for this tasting can be followed at www.ThePortForum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9935
(Image also in the planning thread.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This was an utterly splendid tasting. The ports were excellent from top to bottom, with one "interesting" exception, and we absolutely achieved the objective of bringing port fit for a Queen.

Thank you to all for their contributions and their company, and thank you to Julian for rallying the troops.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting? Spill your guts loyal subject. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9935&p=94951#p94951]Here[/url] DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Problems. We've been moved to the Green Room, without so much as a by-your-leave.

Some of the boxes of glasses were discovered today to be empty. Bring glasses!
This might have been mentioned once or twice (or perhaps sixty three times) throughout the evening but I am pleased to report that JDAW did Her Majesty proud by carrying on regardless and refusing to let small details stand in the way of ceremony. God save the Queen, and God help the Duty Manager the next time JDAW makes a booking :wink:
In the following post jdaw1 wrote:We had a splendid evening. It could have been an even more splendid evening, but we drank and ate well. Many yummy ports, and only one obvious duffer.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Lots of yummy Ports. Johnny Symington sent two bottles of the Graham 1952 Single Harvest Tawny. This has been bottled from six pipes, and our two bottles (labelled ‘Flora’ and ‘Fauna’, which somebody correctly said should have been ‘Victoria’ and ‘Elizabeth’) were quite different. Flora was good Port. But Fauna was significantly better: sweeter, fuller, richer. We were told that, in bottling the 1952, the bottles did not specify which cask. The lesson was learnt, and subsequent Single Harvest Tawnies have identified the cask.

Indeed an excellent evening in which we did Her Majesty proud.
DRT wrote:This was an utterly splendid tasting. The ports were excellent from top to bottom, with one "interesting" exception
Andy Velebil wrote:Interesting? Spill your guts loyal subject. :)
The 1924 Offley was a small bottle (65cl?) of something that might not have been entirely bottle aged. Whatever it was, it was past its prime.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

It was a great evening indeed! Thanks a lot Julian for organising it! Great ports, great company what else could we have wished for despite not enough glasses and amendments to the booking! :D Quote for me of the evening was Johnny Symmington reflecting on the optimal age for a vintage port being ~45years. So the 1970 is in its prime :lol:
Other than that i found the Graham 52 Tawnies being really great; Fauna and also Flora; Fauna was a clear notch better though!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

This was indeed a splendid and for me, arguably, the best (for quality) tasting that I have attended thus far. All Ports (excepting the '24) showed superbly and on another night many of these could have been a WOTN. Very pleased and relieved that the D60 I brought showed well (although I preferred Ben's) and it was great to see that there appears to be plenty of life left in the 1960 vintage. Once again the F70 came out on top (how many times is that now?) but even by its own lofty standards this was an especially good bottle of F70. As Wolfgang says, Johnny's 45 year yardstick for great VP is currently proving correct.

The B&F let itself down a bit on the night with its organisation and water service but the old girl (HM) would have been proud that we maintained a stiff upper lip throughout whilst draining top juice from years associated with her and her reign.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Very true, Ian. It is pleasing to be able to report that, despite the grumblings from some in the organisation thread, no one had to be sent to Curmudgeon Corner and suitable respect and decorum was displayed by all during the toast. Well done team :tpf:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've decided to move to the London area to be around my favorite Port lovers. Anyone know if the Constables will hire their L.A. counterpart?

Edit: Nevermind I just looked at what they pay my counterparts in your parts. No way Jose, as we say.
Last edited by Andy Velebil on 14:53 Thu 10 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:I've decided to move to the London area to be around my favorite Port lovers. Anyone know if the Constables will hire their L.A. counterpart?
[url=http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/newconstable/eligibility.php]The Metrolitan Police[/url], re Police Constable hires, wrote:You will need to have lived in London within the geographical area covered by the Met for at least three of the last six years to be eligible to apply.
I telephoned to ask about senior L.A.P.D. officers, and was told that the requirement was likely to be similar. Seeking better.

(If there are a few more posts on this subject then they will be moved to a new thread.)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I've decided to move to the London area to be around my favorite Port lovers. Anyone know if the Constables will hire their L.A. counterpart?
[url=http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/newconstable/eligibility.php]The Metrolitan Police[/url], re Police Constable hires, wrote:You will need to have lived in London within the geographical area covered by the Met for at least three of the last six years to be eligible to apply.
I telephoned to ask about senior L.A.P.D. officers, and was told that the requirement was likely to be similar. Seeking better.

(If there are a few more posts on this subject then they will be moved to a new thread.)
See my above edit... :lol:
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Very sad to have missed this one - sounds like it was a belter!
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

It was a superb evening; a great selection and good range of some excellent ports. While an outstanding F70 took WOTN by a significant margin, the selection of ports on show were a cornucopia of riches; there was marvelous port everywhere*. To name highlights would be to list most of the bottles, but special thanks to Johnny Symington for bringing two bottles of the Grahams 1952 tawny, which it turned out were clearly from different barrels, fascinating, and to Julian for organisation and bringing his last bottle of Dalva Golden White '52, which was also a treat.

The Boot and Flogger had changed room on us at the last minute, which meant we were a little cramped, and failed to provide the required number of glasses, plus they also got some food wrong, but aside from some initial grumbles this all faded to irrelevancy in the face of a fantastic evening of port with friends.

*except in the top left corner, where a glass containing what one fellow attendee described as tasting of "stale urea" - and he was not wrong; we are appreciative to Tom for the opportunity to try a very unusual wine, an Offley '24 - and for the opportunity to tease him thoroughly since the bottle was unfortunately completely b******d.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Attendees: we have a problem. Bridgeman was absent. So perpetuity’s record of how these showed falls to our slender shoulders. We should make an effort. Please do.

DRT, RAYC: tomorrow you will be sent scans of your TNs. Please do the right thing.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Another lesson was learnt. Pre-pouring essential with 12 people. Too many times the bottle would go round, and those receiving it late would have too little. Must pre-pour with twelve.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Another lesson was learnt. Pre-pouring essential with 12 people. Too many times the bottle would go round, and those receiving it late would have too little. Must pre-pour with twelve.
I agree, but two version of glasses did not help as well as "Indian" pours :lol:

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Self-evidently, next time we have a tasting to commemorate an event of this type, we should invite the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Did I mention that I thought the room was rather cosy? The only thing that marred my enjoyment was the man who kept reminding us that we were in the wrong room.

A note on 'Indian pours': I did not have excessive pours. All my glasses were carefully filled against the standard S.C. Bose port measure.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Self-evidently, next time we have a tasting to commemorate an event of this type, we should invite the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition.
:?: for the Curmudgeon Corner so possible already identified candidates for this corner have a mate :lol:
Mark Twain