Who Needs To Detox?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
benread wrote:
DRT wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Beautiful pictures. I hope to go there sometime soon.
I must warn you that there were millions of midgets hanging around in the car park at the foot of the mountain :shock: :lol:
Derek
Did you mean midgets? Was there a convention of them? Or was it their airbornes cousins the midges?!
Ben, go back to the top of the thread and start reading it again and I'm sure you will work it out :wink:
I am with you now - sorry!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:
DRT wrote:
benread wrote:
DRT wrote:
I must warn you that there were millions of midgets hanging around in the car park at the foot of the mountain :shock: :lol:
Derek
Did you mean midgets? Was there a convention of them? Or was it their airbornes cousins the midges?!
Ben, go back to the top of the thread and start reading it again and I'm sure you will work it out :wink:
I am with you now - sorry!
No need to apologise. I know you are under imense stress at the moment preparing for the biggest day of your life to date: Your first :tpf: off-line on Wednesday night :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote: Your first :tpf: off-line on Wednesday night :lol:
Depends on how pedantic you want to be! My first off-line was technically 10th April although I had never heard of TPF at that point so you could argue it did not count. In which case, 25th June will be my first.

The long range forecast for Wednesday looks good at present so we may see a full days cricket beforehand as well!
Ben
-------
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:
DRT wrote: Your first :tpf: off-line on Wednesday night :lol:
Depends on how pedantic you want to be!
Pedantic? Here? Never!!! :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

DRT wrote:
Derek
I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Monsters, midgets, you guys have have it all!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:I must warn you that there were millions of midgets hanging around in the car park at the foot of the mountain :shock: :lol:
Derek
Did they keep trying to bite you?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:I must warn you that there were millions of midgets hanging around in the car park at the foot of the mountain :shock: :lol:
Derek
Did they keep trying to bite you?
Yes. That's why my ankles and knees are sore :cry:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I wasn't in Scotland this weekend so no Munros were possible. I made do with some lower summits in The Peak District in north west Derbyshire.

This was my first time going solo on a hill walk. I decided to borrow Jo's iPod to keep me company and I am very glad I did.

The first peak I climbed was Win Hill, a 1519ft cone shaped hill overlooking the village of Hope. I was accompanied up this hill by the first 8 tracks of Coldplay's X&Y album.

Me on top of Win Hill with Ladybower Reservoir in the background.

From the summit of Win Hill I headed northwest along a ridge and then a Roman road before turning southwest into the Edale Valley. This was a long downhill hike of around 8-9km accompanied by Coldplay, The Proclaimers and The Pogues. Upon reaching the lowest point of the walk I looked up and saw my next challenge. Back Tor, a seemingly vertical lump of grass and rock rising to 1368ft in just over 1km.

There was only one thing that could get my already tired legs into the required rythmical marching pattern for this one: Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve. That did it nicely.

The view from the top of Back Tor was quite spectacular. This photo does not do justice to the beautiful bowl-shaped Edale Valley bellow.
A relatively unstressfull march along a ridge took me to the top of Lose Hill. Red Hot Chilli Peppers seemed to enjoy it too.

This is the summit marker on Lose Hill with the cone-shaped peak of Win Hill in the distance.

Now for the hardest part of the day. The decent from Lose Hill on a 1:6 slope for about 1km. 43 year old knees do not like this treatment after 12km and 3 summits. I needed something to take my mind off the excrutiating pain in my knees and ankles so decended to The Sugababes. They also accompanied me through the last km of trees and a winding road. I forgot to mention that I sing when listening to an iPod. Many of the locals seem to be rather disturbed by the sight and sound of a 17st sweaty Scotsman striding out towards them around a corner singing Freak Like Me :shock: :lol:

All in all a very successful day. Three decent sized hills in 14km and I found a pub half way down the last one to quench my thirst. :D

Next week is some serious stuff. Ben Ghlas (3620ft), Ben Lawers (3984ft) and An Stuc (3668ft) all in the same day. :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Next week is some serious stuff. Ben Ghlas (3620ft), Ben Lawers (3984ft) and An Stuc (3668ft) all in the same day. :?
As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad :roll:

We climbed Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers today. Oh my god! Ben Ghlas was a 2,200ft ascent from the car park to the summit in little over a mile. After a short decsent and a ridge, Ben Lawers was a further 700ft up in 0.4 of a mile. Most of the climb was completed in a howling wind and in the clouds. An Stuc would have meant a adding a further 2 miles and 2 more ascents of 200ft and 500ft in conditions that seemed unsafe so we did the sensible thing and called it a day.

This was very much harder than the other mountians we have climed and not for the uninitiated or unprepaired. It's a great feeling to have done it but disappointing there was no view to be seen on the day. I'll just have to do it again one day :shock:

Pictures later.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:Next week is some serious stuff. Ben Ghlas (3620ft), Ben Lawers (3984ft) and An Stuc (3668ft) all in the same day. :?
As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad :roll:

We climbed Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers today. Oh my god! Ben Ghlas was a 2,200ft ascent from the car park to the summit in little over a mile. After a short decsent and a ridge, Ben Lawers was a further 700ft up in 0.4 of a mile. Most of the climb was completed in a howling wind and in the clouds. An Stuc would have meant a adding a further 2 miles and 2 more ascents of 200ft and 500ft in conditions that seemed unsafe so we did the sensible thing and called it a day.

This was very much harder than the other mountians we have climed and not for the uninitiated or unprepaired. It's a great feeling to have done it but disappointing there was no view to be seen on the day. I'll just have to do it again one day :shock:

Pictures later.
Surely it’s a cheat to go across ridges? I was expecting a full ascent on each one :p

Incidentally, thanks for the photos of the Peaks. I’d always thought of it as a poor-relation of the Lake District and didn’t realise it was that picturesque!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:Surely it’s a cheat to go across ridges? I was expecting a full ascent on each one :p
At the tender age of 43 the ridge route will do for me thanks :wink:
JacobH wrote:Incidentally, thanks for the photos of the Peaks. I’d always thought of it as a poor-relation of the Lake District and didn’t realise it was that picturesque!
It is very nice but, like the Lake District, there are just too many people. Part of the enjoyment for me is that sense of isolation of being in a wilderness. That is difficult to attain with 2000 other people all climbing the same hill :roll: That said, it's still fun and some great views.

Unfortunately, great views were not something we had to worry about yesterday...

The summit of Beinn Ghlas...
The summit of Beinn Ghlas from the ridge to Ben Lawers...
The summit of Ben Lawers...
Ross and I at the end of the descent with the summit of Beinn Glass 2200ft above us in an annoyingly clear sky in the distance...

Next week I think I will walk along a beach. :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool pics, thanks...but isn't it summer time, whats with all the jackets :P
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

ADV wrote:Cool pics, thanks...but isn't it summer time, whats with all the jackets :P
Welcome to summer in Scotland :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
ADV wrote:Cool pics, thanks...but isn't it summer time, whats with all the jackets :P
Welcome to summer in Scotland :lol:
WOW :shock: and its going to be almost 40 celcius here today!
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have set myself the objective of taking more physical exercise
DRT,
Do you mean: in comparison to the tiring task of popping Port corks you are famous for? :wink:

Seriously, this thread was a fun read and I also liked the pictures. Congrats on getting into shape!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Cool pics, Derek and Billy looks much more tired than you do.

Any chance to get some good scotish breakfast on one of the tops?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Who Needs To Detox?

Post by DRT »

The holiday season is over so it is time to bring this thread back to life.

Next weekend we will be climbing Ben Vorlich (3232ft) and Stùc a' Chroin (3199ft). The total ascent on the 9.1 mile walk is 4,133ft.

Photo copied from Wiki. Vorlich and Chroin are the two highest snow-capped mountains centre-left.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

derek
How much port we taking with us. I know we will be mighty thirsty when we get to the top :mrgreen:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:derek
How much port we taking with us. I know we will be mighty thirsty when we get to the top :mrgreen:
No port allowed until you get back down the hill :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:derek
No port allowed until you get back down the hill :wink:
You got a mountain bike I can borrow to make the trip down faster :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I found out that at 1066m above sea level, Table Mountain is higher than most British mountains.

At 1,600m, Johannesburg is higher than all British mountains.

No wonder I was out of breath at times.

benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

AHB wrote:I found out that at 1066m above sea level, Table Mountain is higher than most British mountains.

At 1,600m, Johannesburg is higher than all British mountains.

No wonder I was out of breath at times.
Anything to do with all the red juice you were drinking?!
Ben
-------
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

There may have been some red juice sipped daintily whilst I was away...

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The weather let us down on Saturday. We were expecting clear skies in the afternoon but from about 2000ft up found nothing but thick cloud. We had to abandon our second peak to ensure we stayed safe in the poor conditions and visibility but I'm sure it will still be there on another day :wink:

Ross and I on the summit of Ben Vorlich.

...and the summit of Ben Our (2400ft).

Billy and Ross on the descent from Ben Our overlooking Loch Earn.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

We had to abandon our second peak to ensure we stayed safe in the poor conditions and visibility but I'm sure it will still be there on another day
Why do I all of a sudden feel as though I'll never set foot back in the States again :o