Apostrophe crimes

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: JacobH’s unknown offence

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
I was too slow. But commendation for use of the ellipsis character (“…†), rather than three dots (“...†).
I’m fairly sure I was the only person on-line at that point, so I think this should be scratched, in order to encourage others to correct their mistakes :)

Also, should we not have a meta-crime for the prevailing use of the prime (') over the apostrophe (’)?

-Jacob
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

JacobH wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
I was too slow. But commendation for use of the ellipsis character (“…†), rather than three dots (“...†).
I’m fairly sure I was the only person on-line at that point, so I think this should be scratched, in order to encourage others to correct their mistakes :)

Also, should we not have a meta-crime for the prevailing use of the prime (') over the apostrophe (’)?

-Jacob
No - stop turning into Julian's Mini-me.
Port is basically a red drink
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

KillerB wrote:
JacobH wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

-Jacob
I did have a solicitation to that effect, but I’m more a “use the correct character† pedant rather than a †put it in the right place† one :)
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

JacobH wrote:
KillerB wrote:
JacobH wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

-Jacob
I did have a solicitation to that effect, but I’m more a “use the correct character† pedant rather than a †put it in the right place† one :)
Julian does that as well - it's a slippery slope.
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:I did have a solicitation to that effect, but I’m more a “use the correct character† pedant rather than a †put it in the right place† one :)
I suspect that you`re also a Mac user. If there´s a way for me to easily use an apostrophe rather than a prime via a Windows keyboard, I've yet to find it¡ 88)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:I suspect that you`re also a Mac user. If there´s a way for me to easily use an apostrophe rather than a prime via a Windows keyboard, I've yet to find it¡ 88)
It’s actually much worse than that; I switched to Debian a few years ago (though one advantage is that it is very easy to set custom layouts). Anyway, it’s a while since I’ve done this on windows, but I thought the left and right single quotation marks could be achieved by setting your keyboard layout to US-International and then using using Atl-Gr and 9 or 0? If I remember correctly, though, it’s almost impossible to manually generate double ones without lots of messing around.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:
JacobH wrote:I did have a solicitation to that effect, but I’m more a “use the correct character† pedant rather than a †put it in the right place† one :)
I suspect that you`re also a Mac user. If there´s a way for me to easily use an apostrophe rather than a prime via a Windows keyboard, I've yet to find it¡ 88)
Very cute Alex, but I suspect that most people will miss it, hence the pointlessness of it all (not life, the apostrophe thingy).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:
Alt-0145, Alt-0146, Alt-0147, Alt-0148.

I am also lightly questioning this use of the word “prime†. Surely the prime characters are those in “6′2″†, rather than the non-directional quotation marks?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote: I am also lightly questioning this use of the word “prime†. Surely the prime characters are those in “6′2″†, rather than the non-directional quotation marks?
Fair enough: I have never been very good at remembering the names of those dubious ASCII legacy characters. However, neither is Unicode, who name U+0027 (') “apostrophe† and U+0022 (") “quotation mark†.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Warre (on a piece of card which came with an LBV) wrote:Founded in 1670, Warre's is the oldest British Port House and is owned by the Symington family, Port producers since the 19th century and who's ancestor made one of the first…
Despite what KillerB might think, I have quite a lot of sympathy for people who make grammatical typos on forum threads. It’s things that make it into print for which I have less time. Especially when, like this, they use straight rather than curly apostrophes and quotation marks throughout.

-Jacob
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

DRT’s extra apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=16540#16540]Here[/url] DRT wrote:Undoubtedly the best drinking wine of the night - but it wasn't it's night
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: DRT’s extra apostrophe

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=16540#16540]Here[/url] DRT wrote:Undoubtedly the best drinking wine of the night - but it wasn't it's night
I typed, deleted, typed, deleted and typed again. If the night doesn't belong to "it" who does it belong to?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Oh dear: “it’s† means “it is†; “it’s† is not possessive.

Post by jdaw1 »

Oh dear: “it’s† means “it is†; “it’s† is not possessive.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Oh dear: “it’s† means “it is†; “it’s† is not possessive.

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Oh dear: “it’s† means “it is†; “it’s† is not possessive.
So the possessive form of 'it' is 'its'?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:So the possessive form of 'it' is 'its'?
Yes. Try this simple quiz to verify mastery of the skill.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:So the possessive form of 'it' is 'its'?
Yes. Try this simple quiz to verify mastery of the skill.
100% - 10 out of 10 - Top Marks :D

Its probably time for me to go to the top of the class :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:100% - 10 out of 10 - Top Marks
Top equal, I’m quite sure.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Including one’s apostrophes.

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17017#17017]Here[/url] Andy V wrote:its almost impossible to get everything perfect
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Including one’s apostrophes.

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17017#17017]Here[/url] Andy V wrote:its almost impossible to get everything perfect
Whatch ja want? :lol:

after having a brand new trainee at work the past couple of days, I am so tired of making spelling corrects, I really didnt care to double check :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Including one’s apostrophes.

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy V wrote:to double check
Yes, avoiding that split infinitive is awkward. The likes of “to check doubly†, or even “to check twice†, have a quite different tone and sense. And using a hyphen to make a compound verb (“to double-check†) can alienate the reader by appearing overly pedantic. So I don’t wholly disagree with your choice.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Andy V’s extra apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17057#17057]Here[/url] Andy V wrote:we need to update the first thread with what bottles the other attendee's are bringing.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

:D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by DRT »

I have been away for 10+ days and am hugely disappointed that the 4 posts immediately above this one are the only contributions to MD during my absence. Are you guys trying to tell me something :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Ben Read’s missing apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17457#p17457]Here[/url] benread wrote:A few early contenders based on last nights form then!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 »

The [url=http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11flsp.pdf]Apollo 11 Lunar Surface Operations Plan[/url], ¶3.2.4 wrote:The S-band erectable antenna will be deployed to increase the communications capability. It's major impact to the EVA is in obtaining an equivalent communications capability that will be possible only if a 210-foot antenna is in view.
Also annoying me was ¶3.1.2’s insure/ensure confusion: “Additionally, the frequent rest periods within the timeline add to this conservatism and insure that each crewman and his PLSS remain in a nominal operating condition.†

Given such sloppiness it’s amazing that they made it there and back.