1963 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1963 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

On Friday 1st April 2016 Daniel Jewesbury and his friend Mark O., Miguel Simoes and his friend Daniel Ron, Jay Hack, and Arlene and Stephan Bassett gathered in Lupulo (835 Sixth Avenue at 29th Street, NY 10001-4101) to sample some Graham’s vintages.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1963 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99087#p99087]Here[/url] J a y H a c k wrote:1963 Graham Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
A bit on the thin and light side. Less than I expected but not a bad wine. I think this was just not the best bottle. Fruit driven and not overly advanced. The bottle looked like it had been through a war, but I do not know what to make of that. In lesser company, this might have been higher rated. but in the company of the other wines we had, this was not notable. (89 pts.)

The bottles:

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1963 Graham

Post by djewesbury »

Honeyish in the nose. I sensed some flatness and asked if anyone thought it was corked. Nobody did. As my guest Mark, an audio expert, put it very cannily, this lacked mid-range. I thought this was a brilliant description: the bass was there, with the dense body one would expect, and the high top notes, with tobacco and light fruits, but there was none of the middle that would have made this really outstanding. A disappointment; but as Jay says, on another night it might have been outstanding.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...