1985 Quinta do Côtto Douro Grande Escolha

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1985 Quinta do Côtto Douro Grande Escolha

Post by RonnieRoots »

This is only the third vintage of this rather famous Douro wine (1980 and 1982 preceeded) and I felt very lucky when I found this some time ago for the ridiculous price of 19 euro.

Remarkably deep colour for its age (which, I read, is caused by the large % of Sousao in the blend). Lovely smell of tobacco, smoke, ceder, and hints of sweet dark cherries and chocolate. On the palate it's also very smoky, with deep fruit, warm and soft flavours. The tannins are completely integrated and round. This is full and complex and showing wonderfully.

People guessed this to be Pomerol or St.-Emillion because of its round and soft profile, and most were quite surprised to find out this was a nicely aged Douro.