Hello from Iowa! New to port.

Come and say hello.
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Hello from Iowa! New to port.

Post by ChaseG »

Hello there! I am new to vintage wines and port. I got a little overzealous a couple of weeks ago and purchased 59 bottles of various cabernets and ports from the mid 1980s. I immediately opened a 1985 Silver Oak which was good! However, I then opened the 1985 Graham's Vintage Port and was immediately hooked! Unfortunately (fortunately?) my wife is not a fan of most wines and ports so I have another 10 or so bottles of Graham's and Dows to enjoy. I'm looking forward to learning more about port, and the next auction coming up in a couple of weeks so I can get my hands on some additional vintages! My next step is to try some vintage Madiera.

Chase

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Re: Hello from Iowa! New to port.

Post by ChaseG »

Photos!ImageImageImage

PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

ChaseG wrote: 02:26 Mon 09 Sep 2019 Hello there! I am new to vintage wines and port. I got a little overzealous a couple of weeks ago and purchased 59 bottles of various cabernets and ports from the mid 1980s. I immediately opened a 1985 Silver Oak which was good! However, I then opened the 1985 Graham's Vintage Port and was immediately hooked! Unfortunately (fortunately?) my wife is not a fan of most wines and ports so I have another 10 or so bottles of Graham's and Dows to enjoy. I'm looking forward to learning more about port, and the next auction coming up in a couple of weeks so I can get my hands on some additional vintages! My next step is to try some vintage Madiera.
Hi Chase and welcome to :tpf:
Is this literally your first taste of vintage port, or your first purchased bottle? Sounds like a good start either way with the Graham's '85, and you've definitely jumped in with both feet buying a dozen or so; hopefully your wife will support and encourage your port habit as much as mine does, even though she's not a fan of it herself. Welcome to the slippery slope!
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Re: RE: Re: Hello from Iowa! New to port.

Post by ChaseG »

PhilW wrote:
ChaseG wrote: 02:26 Mon 09 Sep 2019 Hello there! I am new to vintage wines and port. I got a little overzealous a couple of weeks ago and purchased 59 bottles of various cabernets and ports from the mid 1980s. I immediately opened a 1985 Silver Oak which was good! However, I then opened the 1985 Graham's Vintage Port and was immediately hooked! Unfortunately (fortunately?) my wife is not a fan of most wines and ports so I have another 10 or so bottles of Graham's and Dows to enjoy. I'm looking forward to learning more about port, and the next auction coming up in a couple of weeks so I can get my hands on some additional vintages! My next step is to try some vintage Madiera.
Hi Chase and welcome to :tpf:
Is this literally your first taste of vintage port, or your first purchased bottle? Sounds like a good start either way with the Graham's '85, and you've definitely jumped in with both feet buying a dozen or so; hopefully your wife will support and encourage your port habit as much as mine does, even though she's not a fan of it herself. Welcome to the slippery slope!
Hello Phil!
It was my first ever time trying port with the exception of a very cheap bottle I bought locally not too long ago. I'm a big fan of the Grand Marnier 100 year and drink that often.

Bottle #2! Dows 1985. Didn't have good luck with the cork, got it out in 20 different pieces, I have a puller on order!

My wife did have a glass last night with me, a step in the right direction! She is a fan of very sweet wines like Moscato.

ChaseImage

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a fabulous start to a Port drinking life. First Graham 1985 and then Dow 1985. I’m not surprised you’ve fallen in love with our favourite wine.

Oh yes, and welcome to the Forum!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

Excellent beginning. It is nice to know that there is another good collection in the Midwest (much of mine is in Central Illinois, a bit of a hike from Des Moines).

It is very easy - and pleasant - to get hooked on vintage port, and I wish you many an enjoyable occasion, which I hope will result in insightful tasting notes!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

G85 is a joy. D85 when good is very good (but is not always good). So a great start to drinking Port. (Indeed, my Port career started with a 33-year-old Port, and ’85s are current 34.)

Request: please do post tasting notes.

Suggestion: you might want to acquire some better glasses.