Krohn port

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
Sevvy
Cruz Ruby

Krohn port

Post by Sevvy »

Dear all,
I am reluctantly selling three bottles of Krohn port, two bottles of 1960 harvest and one of 1963. They were acquired by my parents, probably in the 80's, and since the passing of my father I think they would better appreciated by someone within this forum's community. They are located in the UK and have been stored since purchase in the loft of my parents house - Cool, dark and on their sides. Unfortunately the side of the cap seal has been damaged on two of the bottles but the top seals and corks are untouched. A picture of the three bottles is attached.
Regards
Simon.
Attachments
Krohn Port.jpg
Krohn Port.jpg (297.96 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Last edited by Sevvy on 19:59 Tue 05 May 2020, edited 2 times in total.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: Krohn vintage port

Post by nac »

Where in the UK? Helps with potential logistics.

Might be interested (obviously depending on how much you’re looking to get for them). Feel free to PM me.
Sevvy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Sevvy »

The bottles are not far from Stourbridge in the West Midlands. I have no idea what they are worth.
Last edited by Sevvy on 20:00 Tue 05 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Hi Simon,

Having been stored in the loft maybe an issue, as although nice and dark they may have been subject to quick temperature changes and significant heat in the summer months. If you don’t find a buyer here it maybe worth opening and enjoying one to make sure they have not been affected.
Good luck,

Simon
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I would point out that this post -- tho labeled Vintage Port -- shows bottles labeled Colheita. While that means they wouldn't command a VP price, that also means they're a bit more resilient in storage.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

SushiNorth wrote: 15:01 Tue 05 May 2020 I would point out that this post -- tho labeled Vintage Port -- shows bottles labeled Colheita. While that means they wouldn't command a VP price, that also means they're a bit more resilient in storage.
I was just going to point out the same thing.

The 1960s both say "Tawny Very Sweet" under the year as well while the 1963 says "Red Very Sweet". All 3 also say they were bottled in 197x... I can't quite make out the last digit. It variously looks like a 4 or a 9 on my screen.

So yes, these are tawny Ports - Colheitas - and not Vintage Ports.
Glenn Elliott
Sevvy
Cruz Ruby

Post by Sevvy »

Bottled in 1979, harvested in 1960. Perhaps my parents didn't buy them in the 70's. Never mind, they've been here for as long as I can remember. And thanks for the education regarding vintage, I will remove it from the post title.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Sevvy wrote: 19:57 Tue 05 May 2020 Bottled in 1979, harvested in 1960.
So they are basically 20-year old Tawny Ports that have been in bottle for an additional 40 years.

Unfortunately, that is not a good thing. Tawny Ports, including Colheitas, are intended to be consumed shortly after bottling. How long "shortly after bottling" actually means can be debated ad nauseum, but even those of us who believe in looser definitions of "shortly" still tend to only recommend 5-8 years in bottle for best results. After that, the changes are usually less desirable and the Port starts going downhill. So your bottles are more curiosities than valuable old Ports.

Still, you've come to a good place. Aficionados like the people here are the people most likely to be interested in such curiosities. We are sometimes known to drink Port for the experience rather than for any expectation of superior quality, and the experience of drinking a 20-year old Tawny Port that has been in bottle for 40 years is an interesting one. So you may still find interest.

If not, I recommend opening one of the 1960 bottles with friends and family to remember your father. Then, if you find the Port to be rather good, you'll have further information to give to prospective buyers.
Glenn Elliott