1970 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Sandeman

Post by LGTrotter »

One of those ghastly plastic caps on the top and the cork looks wet. But the level is still in the neck.

I don't remember where I got this, but I seem to think I bought it largely on price. I thought I had more but god knows where.

Not much on the nose but a bit of alcohol, let us be generous and say there is also a bit of sous bois. Really very pale, not much deposit, which had thoughtfully stuck together in one corner of the bottle.

A bit hot, that cherryade feeling I get from the 85, still fresh but this seems distinct form seeming youthful. It is more like the clean white bones of the wine are prominent. Sandman gets twitted by the cognoscenti and I sort of know why but this is an excellent summer port. Oh god, listen to me, a fifty year old wine is a summer quaffer, bit like savvy blank. 88 points in your money but I would drink it forever and be glad.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1970 Sandeman

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ah Owen, I have so missed your prose. A lovely evocative tasting note.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.