2008 Domaine du Traginer Banyuls

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2008 Domaine du Traginer Banyuls

Post by akzy »

I've been trying to try a whole series of different fortifieds from around the world to see if anything compares to Port...

Opening the bottle initially and decanting produced quite a dusty effect from the sediment in suspension. It's a dark, fossilised amber colour in the glass. The initial nose of this seems off. This is further verified by the taste - TCA basically making it undrinkable. I poured back into the bottle and placed in the fridge - hopefully time can fix it.

Fast forward a week or so later, I poured myself a glass straight from the fridge (I also enjoy my tawnies straight from the fridge... sue me). The nose is much more pleasing - like a 10 year nutty tawny mixed with some brandy. Still seems a little off however. In the mouth, its smooth with a small bit of heat in the finish. Greeted with caramel notes which eventually turn into a bitter cinder toffee. Again, the slight cardboard-ness from the TCA is there, but it's certainly drinkable. In a blind tasting, I would have said a tawny... not a great one however. TCA skews this result so I won't rate it.

...The search continues.

*edit. Doggett pointed out that I had confused VA with TCA. He also mentioned about TCA disappearing so quick to be uncommon. I must admit, I was rather surprised by that too! I had the same people tasting it both times and they both concur. I think the temperature also helped. I still have some left so I can keep reporting on it.