NV Fletcher Tawny 40YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Fletcher Tawny 40YO

Post by JacobH »

Bargain 40-year-old tawny Port: £35 from Aldi. Quite consistently brown, fading a touch to the edge. Quite muted nose. Distant caramel. Also, maybe, some coffee. Perhaps something tropical too? Initial tasting is quite sweet with a very large amount of acidity. Minimal fruits, perhaps even a bit spirity. But this soon passes as the aftertaste is long with oranges, caramel and perhaps even some caramalised nuts. Just what you would expect from a 40-year-old. At half the price of the next cheapest, this is extremely good value. Would be really interesting to try this blind against some 20-year-olds which are in the same price point!

Date: 6th December 2020

Rated*: P+

http://www.jacob-head.com/port/records/ ... -Old-Tawny

* A Note on Ratings

My rating system attempts to answer the question “is this a good Port?” one of three ways: N—No; P—Possibly; or C—Certainly. Ports generally are rated against others of their category. Therefore, a Ruby Port which I rate as C for Certainly good, might not be as good as a Vintage Port which receives the same rating. I sometimes modify my rating with a plus or minus indicating that the Port is better or worse than might be expected for this category.