Manuel Vasques Osorio 1870

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
suqata
Cruz Ruby

Manuel Vasques Osorio 1870

Post by suqata »

Recently some wine, port and liqueurs had been handed to me by my groundmother and I have a bottle that I don't know whether is old wine or port. My doubt was due the fact that my groundfather was really methodotical and this one was sitting next to other 2 ports.
Can you please advice on how I can identify it?
The bottle is too dark for me to accurately identify a tawny/ruby thickness.

Appreciated!

Pictures attached.
w1.jpg
w1.jpg (339.09 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
w2.jpg
w2.jpg (358.78 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
w3.jpg
w3.jpg (305.37 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
w4.jpg
w4.jpg (307.32 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
w5.jpg
w5.jpg (307.65 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
w6.jpg
w6.jpg (431.95 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
Attachments
w1.jpg
w1.jpg (339.09 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Manuel Vasques Osorio 1870

Post by PhilW »

Hi and welcome to TPF; a very interesting bottle you have acquired. It's tricky to tell accurately from the photos, but I suspect this was bottled early in the 20th century, and with the VV marking I would guess this to be an 1870 colheita, perhaps bottled at around 60yrs old; however that is very much a guess.

There appear to have been, and still are a number of people with the name Vasques Osório around Regua, so there might well be someone who can help with this, but the trick would be to find them of course.

Of particular note is perhaps José Vasques Osório whose house appears to have been converted into an asylum which subsequently partly burned down in 1910, and was then rebuilt as a children's refuge/home (Casa do Asilo José Vasques Osório). This house is located on a street now also named Rua José Vasques Osório in commemoration.

It might be worth an enquiry to the Douro Museum (Museu do Douro) in Regua which is based less 100 yards away from this house; they may have detailed knowledge about the wine and port production in Regua in the 1870s, and/or may know local family members to ask.

If you do find out more, please let us know as it would be interesting to hear.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I agree it is most likely an old tawny bottled quite a long time ago. Most likely for private family use. As for value, that's very hard because it is not a well known producer and storage conditions all these years isn't known either. Or how good it actually is. just because it's old doesn't automatically make it great. Someone may take a flyer and pay 125-150 Euros for it.

The other two are bottled around the mid 1990's. That's a long time in bottle for those two producers so don't expect what current prices are for a "fresh" bottling of it.

If you are looking to sell, where are you located?
suqata
Cruz Ruby

Post by suqata »

Thanks a lot of your answers! Even though i'm Portuguese and born quite close to Regua I'm now based too many countries away and it's not that easy to drop by the family's house :)

I'm not looking for selling, was only trying to understand if the wine was a Port or an old bottled wine. Regarding the other 2 I'll just drink them, not expecting any evaluation, appreciated.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

suqata wrote:Thanks a lot of your answers! Even though i'm Portuguese and born quite close to Regua I'm now based too many countries away and it's not that easy to drop by the family's house :)

I'm not looking for selling, was only trying to understand if the wine was a Port or an old bottled wine. Regarding the other 2 I'll just drink them, not expecting any evaluation, appreciated.
When you taste them please let us know how you like them.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Hi! Welcome to :tpf:!
suqata wrote: 17:59 Wed 14 Jul 2021 I'm not looking for selling, was only trying to understand if the wine was a Port or an old bottled wine. Regarding the other 2 I'll just drink them, not expecting any evaluation, appreciated.
Perhaps we should move this thread to Port Conversations if, happily, the original poster is planing on drinking them himself?
Andy Velebil wrote: 17:21 Wed 14 Jul 2021 I agree it is most likely an old tawny bottled quite a long time ago. Most likely for private family use.
If it was bottled for family use in the early 20th Century, would they really have gone to the trouble of having labels made up for the purpose? I would have thought you’d need to be bottling quite a lot for it to be worthwhile, and distributing it widely (otherwise just having the bin labelled would probably do.)
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

JacobH wrote: 09:06 Thu 15 Jul 2021 If it was bottled for family use in the early 20th Century, would they really have gone to the trouble of having labels made up for the purpose? I would have thought you’d need to be bottling quite a lot for it to be worthwhile, and distributing it widely (otherwise just having the bin labelled would probably do.)
I can think of other bottlings where this has been done; the labels might also be applied later, e.g. when giving a bottle/case as a gift.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote: 09:13 Thu 15 Jul 2021
JacobH wrote: 09:06 Thu 15 Jul 2021 If it was bottled for family use in the early 20th Century, would they really have gone to the trouble of having labels made up for the purpose? I would have thought you’d need to be bottling quite a lot for it to be worthwhile, and distributing it widely (otherwise just having the bin labelled would probably do.)
I can think of other bottlings where this has been done; the labels might also be applied later, e.g. when giving a bottle/case as a gift.
I have seen this done quite a few times when a member of a Douro family brings along a bottle of Grandfather's special old Port to a lunch or dinner. Not unusual at all.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Practically every bottle that I get from Brunheda has a hand-printed and hand-applied label. The techniques are more modern these days (ink jet printers, or even color laser printers) but the concept is the same.
Glenn Elliott