Cellar diary

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Cellar diary

Post by uncle tom »

" An everyday tale of moving bottles around "

August 9th

Extracted an original case of Warre '83, slighly decayed exterior, bought from Strakers 13 years ago. Another case has hitherto met my needs, but time to get these bottles out and racked. Prised the lid using a wooden mallet and a large antique 'railway' screwdriver, secured on eBay last year, it really works a treat. Extracted or knocked down the exposed nails before going any further, using pliers and a small ball pein hammer.

Bottles in pretty good order - one badly decayed label, a few slightly so, no signs of seepage. One bottle base of neck level, all others level in neck. Bottles loaded into my four gang 'red riding hood' wicker baskets for the journey back to be weighed and tagged.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Re: Cellar diary

Post by uncle tom »

August 10th

Making the cellar tags for the W83 bottles.

Every year I have a little session, guillotining down a couple of hundred strung luggage tags. They start off a little under 4" x 2" and I cut them down to 1 3/16" (about 30mm) long, four at a time on the guillotine, before dumping them into individual owcs that once held Vesuvio bottles. I used to hand write the tags, but my rubbish handwriting caused too many mistakes, so for the past decade I've relied on a Dymo label printer, printing on to 12mm tape.

Next up will come the ordering of the bottles. As they've not been weighed before, and none have seepage issues, I'll order them by level alone, and if there's no odds between two bottles level-wise, the best label will win.
Last edited by uncle tom on 09:59 Wed 11 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Tom - this is interesting and entertaining. Please do keep the diary going. You have at least one interested reader and, I suspect, many more.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

I'm hooked, I want to know what happens next.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 11th

One of the perils of placing commission bids at auction is that you might not win anything. Worse is that you don't win your main target, but win another lot that you put in a shot to nothing bid on at the same sale.

I wasted a happy hour in hot North London traffic jams today, collecting a single bottle of Offley '84 LBV. It was a bargain in itself, and the bottle was in good order, but a lot of trouble to pick up..

Back to the W83, now on my sorting and weighing bench. I have in the past devoted some effort, trying to find a clever way of determining the level in bottles that are too dark to see through. I concluded that it was possible, but not practical - but in the process established what appeared to be the best light source for checking levels when the glass is very dark.

Hanging next to the weighing bench, is a simple lamp socket containing a smallish, clear glass, 40W incandescent bulb. The lamp is powered via a bathroom style pull switch. These bulbs are not supposed to be available any more, but I notice that there are still eBay listings for them. I have a small stash of spares. The incandescent filiament provides a line of very bright light that is quite effective.

Sorting the bottles did not take long. I start with a rough triage, good levels to left, poor levels to the right, middling in the middle, then work my way down the line picking the bottles up two at a time to compare.

Then came the tagging. Most port bottles have an indent on the neck below the top of the capsule that you can tie a string round, others have a lip at the mouth of the neck that a tied string cannot pass. I start with a simple half hitch, then hold the strings tight for about three seconds to stretch them slightly, followed by two further half hitches in rapid succession, before snipping of the tails off the strings. A single half hitch loosens very quickly of it's own accord, two will work loose over time, but three leaves a knot that is almost impossible to untie.

Next up, weighing and recording..
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 12th

I get the impression that weighing bottles feels a bridge too far for many people, but in terms of time expended, it's really quite short. It's also quite rewarding. My only regret about weighing is that I didn't start sooner.

You can spend a fortune on balances, but I didn't. I bought a simple lab balance designed for the schools market called the the PCE BS 3000 (still available for around £100) which weighs to 3000g with a resolution of 0.1g. I actually bought two, the other is in my factory, and they don't quite agree; differing by about 1g when weighing a bottle. There's also a little drift, depending on climatic conditions (I think). As the primary objective is to measure relative ullage within a case, the inaccuracies don't really matter, but before each session I check the balance against a reference weight, which is a sealed port bottle with 10mm glass marbles inside, filled to match the average (full) port bottle weight of a little under 1350g. I have a load more of these little glass marbles, in case anyone wants to make up a reference weight for themselves.

I have a standard written cellar record sheet that I fill in before transferring the data to the 'puter, which I then keep in case of computer problems or odd discrepancies. For every bottle I record capsule type, label condition, seepage (if any) capsule condition, level, and weight; not forgetting to record where I've put it.

The W83 duly recorded, all that remained was to go round the loose bits of label with a glue brush. I use a 1/4" bristle artist's brush and wallpaper adhesive made up much more strongly than recommended in a little pot - it keeps for about six months before going mouldy. I tuck the brush under loose flaps of label to put paste on the glass, and then carefully brush the label down onto it, before carefully using kitchen paper to wipe away any excess glue on the glass. When dry the paste does not add significantly to the weight.

As space in cellar one is tight and I already have some W83 there, I have decided to make this a 'basket case'. I first started dividing cases between locations with table wines, but two locations, and two quantities in each location was a recipe for errors, so I devised a system whereby the reserve quantity was always the greatest possible multiple of four bottles - the number that fits into a basket. If I drink the last bottle in the current drinking cellar, leaving only the reserves, my 'drink bottle' coding changes the first cellar store code to 'Vacant' - clueing me to liberate another basket full from the reserve store.

Total time expended processing this case, at a suitably leisurely pace, was a little under an hour. The weighing element, and recording of same, taking little more than ten minutes.

Next up - some bottles are due for inspection on the Watch list..
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

This is genuinely compelling reading. I applaud, and please do continue, what I call fascinating detail and others, who are wrong, might call minutiae. The bit about the wallpaper paste not adding significantly to the weight of the bottle is genuinely the kind of thing that makes me feel better about life after another dreary 14 hour day. Please do keep it up.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 13th

Before attending to the watch list, this year's fifth flight of six bottles for home consumption need to be loaded on to Death Row.

First up, the first bottle from a previously untouched stash. The computer's choice being a lone bottle of Malvedos '86.

Next a bottle of a wine or from a vintage that is in overstock. The computer's choice of Calem '85 was a little tenuous as the wine is not in overstock and the vintage only slightly so, but it was propelled by the stash's status as a 'drink up' candidate - it has a terrible track record for VA.

The third bottle is qualified by a less than perfect level. The computer chose a Gould Campbell '70 with BN level - but as much for its level as for the length of time since one was last quaffed.

The fourth is qualified by length of time since last drunk - it being over five years since I last popped one, the computer chose a Noval '75.

The fifth bottle on the lineup is a wine flagged to drink up or clocked for seepage. Croft '77 is a lacklustre wine that needs to be drunk out of its misery, so the computer chose that one.

And finally, the last bottle from a stash, but not in this case the last bottle I own. The computer chose a Cockburn '63.

Not the greatest flight, but there's a certain lack of guilt when there are no all-time classics on the shelf.

Now on to the Watch List.

I inducted a case of Churchill '85 last year, and clocked three sticky capsules as I did so. Two had lower levels that confirmed a little seepage, but the third didn't, so I washed the offending capsules and put the case 'On watch' to do a re-check a year down the line, by which time the worst offender had been drunk. The second worst had lost 300mg, with a resumption of visible seepage. The computer will likely consign it to death row within the next year. The other sticky capsule however, was perfectly dry and actually showed the lowest ullage of all of them.

I sometimes suspect that messy bottling lines, years before, can give a false impression of seepage issues.

Next up, with the girfriend away for the weekend, I shall probably get the wax pot out..
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Very nice.
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

This is certainly an interesting read and I feel a little like Garth in Wayne's World (we're not worthy); however, I do have a question for you. You stated that the computer picks your Port for consumption? How does that happen? Do you have someone write software for your cellar or is it a set of function statements in an Excel spreadsheet?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Do you have someone write software for your cellar or is it a set of function statements in an Excel spreadsheet?
It's a bit of Excel Visual Basic code that I wrote myself - the longest macro I've ever created. It was a weird journey into analysing my own decision making process that took several years to perfect. Whenever I disagreed with it's choice (it actually gives me an ordered shortlist each time) I asked myself why, and went back into the code to adjust it.

In its current incarnation it evaluates 79 different variables and runs to 1712 lines of code. It takes around five to ten seconds to make each choice.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 14th

With the cat away, time to get out the wax pots. I've not done any waxing for about a year now. On my main stock spreadsheet, I have a column for flags. If a case has any bottles that would benefit from waxing, it gets flagged with a lower case w - an upper case W is used to signify the Watch List.

I use one pint stove enamel camping mugs to melt wax, and have amassed about fifteen in different colours. Bottle wax comes in slabs that are difficult to cut, so a few years ago I re-cast my stock into soap moulds, which makes topping up the pots much easier.

First pot out - pink - with just one bottle to wax in that colour - a 1961 Dow LBV whose original pink wax had got wet and aromatic. The process starts by taking two sheets of kitchen paper and rolling them horizontally into a tight roll. This I then half hitch round the neck of the bottle. This stops any drips from the cleaning process running down and spoiling the bottle's 'patina'.

Next the old capsule of the bottle went under the tap with the water running luke warm, and using a plastic kitchen scourer (but no soap) I gently washed off the historic grime and more recent seepage.

Then with the bottle stood up, I brushed some hydrogen peroxide into the cracks in the old wax. This froths when it contacts grime, lifting it away.

There are only two chemicals I use when waxing bottles - hydrogen peroxide, which is nothing more than water and oxygen, and acetone, which occurs naturally in wine to a very small extent, and also in human breath, so is not an alien contaminant. Be aware that peroxide and acetone can form an unstable explosive if mixed, so keep them apart.

Wax takes time to melt in the pot. It is a very poor conductor of heat, and can easily start to boil before it has fully melted if you try to rush things. I warm the pots in a dry saucepan with a steel plate in the bottom to spread the heat. I used to add a little olive oil, but find that isn't necessary. The wax pots are wrapped in foil when not in use to keep dust off, and I spread that over the top of the saucepan to conserve heat. Using an electric hob, I put in on power level 2. It takes the best part of an hour to warm through.

Wax is as dangerous as cooking oil when it comes to fire hazard, so I always turn off the heat if I have to go out for a few minutes, in case I get distracted.

The peroxide having dried off, I ran a paper towel soaked in acetone round the top the bottle to give it a further clean. This made the old wax look brand new.

The wax tends to melt from the outside of the pot inwards, so while waiting for the core of the wax to melt, I did a little priming, using a small disposable artist's brush. This I used to paint wax into cracks in the old wax to discourage air bubbles. I also paint wax over bare glass near the top of the bottle and also bare cork, when there is any, to reduce thermal shock to the bottle, and in the case of cork, improve adhesion.

Aside from creating a perfect capsule, waxing also requires the creation of a good seal where the wax meets the neck of the bottle, especially with old bottles where the cork is failing. To ensure that I gave the glass a final wipe with an acetone soaked paper towel to degrease it, immediately prior to dipping.

After removing the paper collar I'd placed earlier I then dipped the bottle. I dunked the neck vertically into the wax and them immediately removed it, holding the neck horizontally over the pot whilst spinning the bottle in my hands until the excess wax has dripped off, then slowly bringing the bottle up to the vertical, spinning all the time.

Finally it was bubble time - waxing old leaky bottles usually causes some bubbles to appear, which I deal with by holding a burning a match very closely above the offending bubble, which first pops it, and then magically causes it to heal over again. I use long cook's matches for this. In this case just one bubble appeared, which then reformed after I had first popped and healed it, so had to be done again.

That's enough for today - more tales from the wax pot tomorrow!
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Uncle Tom.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

There is a lovely pace to this series which reminds me of the diary of Parson Woodforde (of which I am an unashamed fan, and indeed I am a member of the Parson Woodforde Society...)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

After the pink wax came black. First to put a fresh capsule on a recently and very reasonably acquired bottle of Cockburn crusted, bottled in 1950, that had a sound cork but had lost the top of it's black capsule. Following the usual routine, I noted that the old capsule was wax, as it barely coloured the acetone rag. A lot of mid 20th century black capsules appear to be pitch, which colours the rag mightily.

Then came a bottle I've been reluctant to wax, but with an ullage rate approaching 1000mg p.a. (despite no visible seepage) my desire to preserve it for another 30 years demanded attention.

This was the near identical twin of the 1851 bottle I opened ten years ago (and immortalised on YouTube) for the 50th birthday of Richard Mayson.

There was very little remaining of the orginal wax, but when preparing, the acetone rag showed it be very soluble and an orange brown colour. As this bottle predated the modern petrochemical industry, a little digging suggested that this residue is probably Carnauba wax.

I normally wax with a colour that is sympathetic to the original, but in a case like this, prefer to use a different hue, so the original can eventually be identified again.

Next up - time to induct another '97 to current drinking..
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
1986 Malvedos, last I had it, was an amazingly good VP with plenty of years left ahead of it. Just FYI.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 15th

Only two stashes so far inducted into current drinking from '97, at 24, my newest drinking vintage; so time for another. I've plenty of Crasto, including a dozen that I bought in 2006 and have been in rack 21 in my holding cellar since that rack was installed a decade ago.

Hand numbered tags, only the levels recorded, and no inspection date, so tagged before June 2007 when I started keeping date records for inspection.

Fourteen years of dust later, the bottles all look fine. Re-tagged with printed numbers and kept in the original order. With glass too dark to see levels I would otherwise order them by weight, but there's only a couple of grams variation between the lot of them. Basket cased, eight ready to return to long term storage and four tucked into current drinking - rack position 03A16 to be precise.

I always load bottles in the racks from the bottom to the top, so the highest bottle is the next to be drunk, but give the storage position as the lowest position occupied. Rack 3 is a double depth rack, so these bottles occupy the first column from the left (A) and the 15th and 16th holes down.

What next? Time to do a little routine inspection..
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

uncle tom wrote: 17:15 Mon 16 Aug 2021 Only two stashes so far inducted into current drinking from '97, at 24, my newest drinking vintage; so time for another. I've plenty of Crasto, including a dozen that I bought in 2006 and have been in rack 21 in my holding cellar since that rack was installed a decade ago.
I look forward to a tasting note in the next year. I only have a single bottle of 1997 Crasto, but it is a magnum so I have high hopes that it will be good or possibly excellent. It is Crasto, and VP, so even in magnum it is unlikely to rise to the level of outstanding.
Glenn Elliott
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Am particularly enjoying the multiply-cellared concept (e.g 'holding cellar') as physical cellars rather than merely abstract storage facilities.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 16th

One of the beneifts of tagging individual bottles with cut down cream coloured luggage tags is that they readily give away seepage issues. Not only does a leaky bottle soak and stain the tag, but the port wetted card is quite aromatic, so your nose can tell if there's a leaky bottle nearby.

Thus it is that a couple of times a year or so I creep slowly round my oldest bottles, small torch in hand, and without causing too much air disturbance, nostrils at the ready to spot any issues.

When found however it sometimes transpires that the bottles have been playing tricks - some bottles leak without soaking their tags, but instead drip down onto the necks of bottles below, giving them a false appearance of seepage, so one has to check the bottles above before jumping to conclusions.

Not on this occasion however. A few minor sinners were found - a Croft '60 showing slight wetting of the wax - it's never a chore to drink through one of those - a Malvedos '64, only secured a couple of years ago, sporting some fluffy white mould on the capsule - will put on watch and wax if necessary. A Fonseca '63, last bottle from my least cherished stash of this wine, also showing a little white fluff - to wax or drink? Maybe the latter.. and finally a curious bottle of Dow '45, that was very kindly gifted to me.

Curious because the label loooks correct, the glass looks correct, the wine has an excellent level and colour, and the flaky sedimentation in the neck is consistant with it being genuine and well cellared..

..but the capsule looks wrong - a badly corroded gold and green foil.

The emergence of a little bit of seepage is almost reassuirng however. It raises the chances that the capsule is the only part of the bottle that is not authentic - and gives me an excuse to remove that foil to see if the cork is original.

That, however, can wait for another day..
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 17th/18th

A little pottering around. Berry Bros bottlings from the 1960's are very attractive to look at, and generally well executed, but getting those slightly quaint labels to stay on the bottles was not always their forte. I have today had to re-affix three out of five on a stash of Noval '63. I think the problem was that they often aged the bottles before labelling them (as was common practice) but didn't then clean the glass that the label had to stick to.

Nine years ago I secured a dozen Delaforce '58's of which there are now five remaining. My inspection regime for bottles aged 60 to 70 years is a nominal once in eight years, but in practice I inspect one bottle in eight each year - the ones least recently inspected. Today this stash was due.

These were the best of the dozen, ordered initially by level alone, with levels now ranging from from IN through to VTS++. One of the capsules (bottle C) is slightly chipped, the others sound. The ID comes from the wax capsules, the corks are branded Harveys. And the rates of ullage (p.a.) ?

A) - 66mg
B) - 149mg
C) - 132mg
D) - 314mg
E) - 50mg

So in the flags column on my database will now appear #D - telling me to skip bottle E in favour of D when next choosing a bottle
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 19th

Spent a while this morning bidding at Rosebery's sale. They were liquidating a fairly large cellar of a probably deceased gentleman, and the very casual manner of the cataloguing, with no photos, made me wonder if some bargains might result. I won't know for sure until I collect them, but I secured just over 80 bottles of mostly claret and burgundy, with an average age of more than 40 years, for £400 inclusive..

Time to investigate that Dow '45

The atypical capsule was very corroded, and crumbled as I scraped it off. I pondered the many corroded capsules I've broached in the past to estimate an age. Not less than 40 years I felt, easily 50. The cork is unbranded, so I assume the bottle was re-corked. Was it an honest re-cork - or mischief at play?

My feeling, given the capsule condition, is that the bottle would not have been of great value and veneration as to tempt mischief when it was re-corked. Anyone minded to re-fill an old empty bottle at that time would surely have favoured a '27 or '96 rather than a '45. They would also have tried to replicate the original capsule, instead of installing something so obviously different.

As the content of the bottle looks correct, I'm going to wax this bottle and book it as re-corked, by person unknown.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

August 21st

My wings are slightly clipped at the moment, as the alternator on my car has packed up and it may be a fortnight before it can get fixed. I can borrow the works transit van when necessary, but it's not quite the same. The alternator has not done badly - lasting 17 years and 249,000 miles, before giving up.

Time for a few more inspections, and a little stash that I approach with some trepidation - the nine bottles remaining of the case of Noval 31 I bought nearly fifteen years ago now, last inspected in spring '16.

And they are all looking good, all still with levels in neck (two of them only just), and with ullage rates ranging from 94mg to 188mg p.a. - not at all bad for 90 year old bottles.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

What a heartwarming conclusion on the Noval 1931 - your penultimate paragraph had me on tenterhooks...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

What a delightful diary, blending care with decadence.