Event: 40th Anniversary of college graduation (a year late).

What happened?
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Event: 40th Anniversary of college graduation (a year late).

Post by Mike J. W. »

My college buddies and I have been getting together every summer down the shore for the last 5 years (skipping last year due to Covid). I bring the Port and we spend the night(s) sampling all of them, trading stories and getting hammered in the process. None of my college friends are Port nuts like I am, but they enjoy what I bring down.

This year was special because we were celebrating 40 years since we graduated college (celebrated a year late due to Covid).
Originally I had six bottles that I had opened to either decant (the Vintage Ports) or just to test to ensure they were still sound
(Colheitas and the TWAIOA). The six chosen bottles were as follows:

1976 Warre Colheita Reserve (bottled 2008)
1977 Fonseca VP
1978 Krohn Colheita (bottled 2008)
1980 Dow VP
Kopke over 40 year-old Tawny (bottled 2013)
1994 Fonseca VP

I was afraid that the '77 Fonseca might be somewhat corked so I brought a back up bottle of a 40 year-old Tawny Port that I had won in an auction.
The 40 year-old Tawny Port was from a little known producer named Manuel Carlos Agrellos and had been bottled in 1988. I had won 3 bottles in the spring but hadn't tried it and could find out next to nothing about the quality of the Port. The '77 Fonseca turned out to be okay (albeit a lesser than normal example of a Fonseca) but I decided to break open the Argellos 40 year-old Tawny the second night anyways.

I will write up individual notes this week, but here are my initial scores and my WOTN's:
1977 Fonseca (90 pts.)
1994 Fonseca (91 pts. this is the lowest I've ever scored the '94 and I love that Port)
1980 Dow (93 pts.)
1976 Warre Colheita Reserve (93 pts.)
1978 Krohn Colheita (94 pts.)
A tie in my mind for WOTN between the Kopke over 40 year-old Tawny and the unknown Argellos 40 year-old Tawny. Both scored a solid 95 pts.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: Event: 40th Anniversary of college graduation (a year late).

Post by winesecretary »

That is a mighty fine range of ports you have there...
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Re: Event: 40th Anniversary of college graduation (a year late).

Post by Mike J. W. »

winesecretary wrote: 18:09 Mon 20 Sep 2021 That is a mighty fine range of ports you have there...
Thanks. Even though the 2 Fonseca's were off their game, there wasn't really a bad one in the batch.