NEW DATE: Wed 14 Dec 2022 - Quevedo Closure Experiment

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: NEW DATE: Wed 14 Dec 2022 - Quevedo Closure Experiment

Post by jdaw1 »

When I find my notes, they will be posted.

From memory: cork was better for me. I’m not sure that I had a prior at all, but if I did, it was screw cap. The cork closed wines just seemed to be in better balance and poise.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Natural straight: the most fruit. Dry, very dry even, but the early-palate plum fruit is big and the fullest. [Favourite = 3 points.]

Natural dumpy: Very soft,. but slightly lighter and blander than the natural straight. [Second favourite = 2 points.]

Screw cap: Very very dry. There is white pepper, and some plum, but the fruit is less than for either of the natural corks. [Third place = 1 point.]

Artificial: the most muted nose of any. Palate lighter than all the others, though some white pepper definitely present. [Not this time = 0 points.]

My scoring agreed with the consensus.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 10:07 Thu 29 Dec 2022 Chaps - I am a little disappointed. The opening of the first Quevedo Closure Experiment case was an historic occasion. It will never be repeated. People attending future openings will be very interested in being able to compare their experience with those of the people tasting from the first case.

Please, someone attending, say what you thought of the way the wines were developing after 6 years in bottle under each of the different closures.
And ~6 months later, we have a review thread!