Grahams 1983 cork...

Anything to do with Port.
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Grahams 1983 cork...

Post by CMB »

Hi All,

I recently bought a case of 1983 Grahams from a reputable supplier and having opened 3 bottles noticed the corks all look new. Well new compared the other 1983's or 1985's I have drunk, which need an ah-so to remove. The corks came out easily with a corkscrew, are Grahams branded with the 1983 date, look new in colour and were clean at the end (no port staining). I am used to a cork crumbling to pieces and wondered if when port is recorked, are corks used with the same vintage year etc? Having never had a recorked port or wine (well knowingly), I'm not sure what to expect. The bottles look immaculate, IDVP seal in place and wax seal looks untouched and label says bottled in 1985. Other than the quality of cork, I thought maybe recorked as when I filtered a bottle through muslin there looked to be a piece of a much older cork.

Maybe a stupid question or very simple answer - Was just trying to rule our recorked vs fake (if anyone would attempt to fake a 1983...)

Thanks in advance.

Chris
/2alph
Warre’s Warrior

Re: Grahams 1983 cork...

Post by /2alph »

Is there an "R" on the cork?
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Post by CMB »

After meaning to keep the cork, I think I must have drunk too much of the bottle and thrown it away! Thanks for the reply though - Im not sure about the R but have 3 more bottles to open so will check again. Are all recorked wines labelled with an R?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Not all, no, but if you see an 'R' that's a pretty solid indicator.
Glenn Elliott
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Post by CMB »

Thanks - I don’t remember seeing an R when inspecting the cork last time but I’ll check again.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The Symington's now have a policy of re-corking almost everything that they release late from their cellars. If your cases were released from their cellars in the past five years or so they were more than likely re-corked.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Post by CMB »

Ah thanks very much - that’s good to know! Going on the quality of the bottles that would make sense too.