Casa Ferreirinha

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Casa Ferreirinha

Post by JacobH »

I am completely defeated by Casa Ferreirinha's range. On the one hand they make Barca Vehla which is priced somewhat aggressively. On the other I'm sure I've seen some bottles from them in Portuguese supermarkets for a few euros. As a result, I've never knowing tried anything from them since I am consistently confused as to which ones are worth buying; which ones are junk; and which are overpriced.

Does anyone here have some more experience and would be willing to make some recommendations?

Thanks!

Jacob
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: Casa Ferreirinha

Post by winesecretary »

Barca Velha 1983, consumed a decade ago in what is now the William restaurant at Reid's, with nothing but a simply roasted local chicken, a full moon shining across the tranquil bay of Funchal, remains not entirely for vinous reasons one of the most memorable dining experiences of my life. But it is also by a country mile the best unfortified Portuguese red I have ever had. Nothing else has even been close. So it is lots of money; but no more so than Vega Sicilia...
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Quinta da Leda is an excellent wine. It's not a cheap wine (but neither is it outrageously expensive), but I do think it represents value for money if one wants to spend that sort of money.
On a more budget-consicious side, Vinha Grande and Callabriga can be very enjoyable wines, particularly Callabriga.
They have a Tinta Francisca that I'm curious to try, but haven't yet as it's a bit expensive, as is their Antonia Adelaide Ferreira and Legado wines (which I've not had).

These are all reds, btw. I don't rate their whites very much.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

MigSU wrote: 13:02 Sat 27 Nov 2021 Quinta da Leda is an excellent wine. It's not a cheap wine (but neither is it outrageously expensive), but I do think it represents value for money if one wants to spend that sort of money.
On a more budget-consicious side, Vinha Grande and Callabriga can be very enjoyable wines, particularly Callabriga.
They have a Tinta Francisca that I'm curious to try, but haven't yet as it's a bit expensive, as is their Antonia Adelaide Ferreira and Legado wines (which I've not had).
Thanks very much. That’s all really helpful.
MigSU wrote: 13:02 Sat 27 Nov 2021 These are all reds, btw. I don't rate their whites very much.
I’ve never been much of a fan of Douro whites in any event. I can’t remember a single one that I’ve liked!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

They’re wines are priced accordingly to quality, so a £10 bottle is a decent daily drinker. A £50+ bottle can, and probably, should be laid down to age. Or at least decanted a long time before enjoying.

I’ve had their full range many times and buy some of them. I’ve found even their inexpensive ones to be a very good QPR and worth getting for a daily drink.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I agree with Andy's summary - I buy and drink (red) Casa Ferreirinha wines with confidence right across the range. Even Papa Figos for a few Euros in a supermarket in Portugal is a tasty and juicy glass of wine.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thank you both. That’s really helpful.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

As fate would have it, injust had Vinha Grande at lunch. Very pleasant, as always.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

The current Broadbent Douro Reserva's are made by them now instead of Niepoort.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

mosesbotbol wrote:The current Broadbent Douro Reserva's are made by them now instead of Niepoort.
And they are very good.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: 21:18 Mon 11 Jul 2022
mosesbotbol wrote:The current Broadbent Douro Reserva's are made by them now instead of Niepoort.
And they are very good.
Be curious to see how they develop with the screw top's which are common across the Casa Ferreirinha portfolio.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?