1994 Quevedo Colheita (bottled 2021)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1994 Quevedo Colheita (bottled 2021)

Post by winesecretary »

Bottled 2021

From 90ml

Started out lighter than the garrafeira alongside but darkened to a purple-red, 60% opaque.

Quite a lot of volatile heft on the nose masking the fruit.

Sweet and rich and luscious on the palate at first but a bit fiery to finish. Coffee. A little quince, late.

Not sure about the balance on this sample. TCA? Theoretically possible under screwcap but very rare. I think it's just badly VA-affected.
Last edited by winesecretary on 22:25 Mon 31 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1994 Quevedo Colheita

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve not had VA in this, and I’ve had it a number times over the past 10-ish years, including direct from cask. But it’s always been slow to develop tawny characteristics, as the base product was such a nice Port from a great year. I prefer the 1992 as it’s more developed into a tawny. IMO, this one needs to spend a lot more time in cask to age and perhaps use as a blending component instead.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Yes it's odd isn't it. I had this wine less than a year ago and it was very different and much closer to your description. It definitely wasn't the glass though, as I checked that twice.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’ve had a couple of sample bottles which have tasted pretty odd and flawed since we started to do this a lot in March 2020. I wonder if the small amount of liquid makes them more susceptible to something going wrong? It’s also made me wonder how they are bottling these: can you run 90ml bottles through a normal production line? Or will they have had to have bought new equipment or outsourced it?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

They are probably hand filled. One would need to bottle a lot of them to make it worth the investment of buying a special bottling machine for such a small bottle.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

It might be that the bottle was not properly rinsed before use or even that wrong wine was put in the bottle. That I thought there was a fault, but I was unable to be certain which fault, might point towards the former.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote: 15:51 Sun 30 Jan 2022 They are probably hand filled. One would need to bottle a lot of them to make it worth the investment of buying a special bottling machine for such a small bottle.
Your post caused me to look at how much a bottling machine costs! I noticed that you can buy quite cheaply (i.e. < £/$/€ 100) a machine for semi-automated filling. You set how many ml you want it to dispense and stick the input tube into your big container of liquid. It then has a foot pump and every time you press it, the liquid is dispense through a second tube which is held in a stand with a little nozzle on the end to make it easy to direct into the bottle. I imagine that with such a machine filling 100 or so sample bottles would only take a few minutes and be much easier that trying measure the liquid by hand.

There is a terrible video of one here from one of the manufacturers.