Selection of Port for Sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
ronyates168
Cruz Ruby

Selection of Port for Sale

Post by ronyates168 »

70 cl bottle of Fortnum and Mason Fine Ruby Port. Vintage and date bottled unknown. Condition: good
70 cl bottle of Fortnum and Mason Fine Ruby Port. Vintage and date bottled unknown. Condition: good
Fortnum and Mason Ruby 1.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
75 cl bottle of Borges Late bottled Vintage Port. Vintage 2001 and bottled in 2005. Condition: very good
75 cl bottle of Borges Late bottled Vintage Port. Vintage 2001 and bottled in 2005. Condition: very good
Borges 3.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Having inherited a number of bottles of wine and Port from my wife's late god-father, it has been stored in my garage for the past two years. Prior to that the storage conditions are unknown.
Nevertheless, we are eager to see if the bottles of Port are of interest in terms of purchase and so have listed and shown them in the photos attached. We believe that some of the bottles have a degree of rarity and so would hope to see some fair offers for them or a reasonable offer for the complete batch. There are 10 bottles in total and they can all be inspected via the attached files.
Attachments
Fortnum and Mason Ruby 2.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
75 cl bottle of Fortnum and Mason Late bottled Vintage Port. Vintage 2000 date bottled 2005. Condition: very good.
75 cl bottle of Fortnum and Mason Late bottled Vintage Port. Vintage 2000 date bottled 2005. Condition: very good.
Fortnum and Mason LBV 1.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Fortnum and Mason LBV 2.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
75 cl bottle of Croft 10 year old Tawny Port. Vintage unknown but bottled in 1991. Condition: very good
75 cl bottle of Croft 10 year old Tawny Port. Vintage unknown but bottled in 1991. Condition: very good
Croft 1.jpg (65.98 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Croft 2.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Borges 1.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
Borges 2.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 3671 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Selection of Port for Sale

Post by jdaw1 »

These are not special. The LBVs might be worth £10 each; the tawny and ruby not as much as that. I realise that this news might be unwelcome, but it is what it is.

Could you drink them, and remember the deceased? Have you friends — better might be acquaintances — to whom you could give them?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:These are not special. The LBVs might be worth £10 each; the tawny and ruby not as much as that. I realise that this news might be unwelcome, but it is what it is.

Could you drink them, and remember the deceased? Have you friends — better might be acquaintances — to whom you could give them?
I concur.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

As has already been posted, they are not worth a huge amount, but there are some interesting bottles (particularly the LBVs) and I would venture that many of them will taste wonderfully so I hope you choose to try them and have much enjoyment.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi, and welcome to TPF. Let me first thank you for posting photos of the bottles, as this makes it a lot easier for us to be able to help, and to try and provide a realistic assessment for you.

As others have said above, I'm afraid that the bottles you have shown us pictures of so far are not valuable; it might be that others in the collection you have received might be, but certainly the ones above are not. I'll explain a little to try and help understanding, and perhaps aid you in determining whether your other bottles have value or not.

There are many types and categories of port, the majority of which are intended for immediate drinking when bottled, and will decline slowly in the bottle; this is true of almost all ports labelled "ruby", "ruby reserve", and (most) "late bottled vintage" (LBV); it is also true of all tawny ports though to a lesser degree, so an old tawny can hold much of its value, though it will not improve with age in the bottle. At the more expensive end are "crusted" and "vintage" (note this is different from "vintage character" and "late bottled vintage") which are designed to improve in bottle for 30+ years.

Looking at the bottles you have posted so far, they are:
- Fortnum and Mason Ruby
- Borges 2000 LBV
- Croft 10yr tawny
- Borges 2001 LBV

Per above, the Ruby and the pair of LBVs will not have improved in the bottle, and will be worth less than their equivalent for purchase today (so much less than ~15/20/20), and the Croft tawny is a 10yr, which is the most basic category; again worth less than today's equivalent (~20). Thus, buying the equivalent at todays prices would cost around £75 total, and would be better ports; I'm afraid that I think you would be lucky to net £30 for these in total currently.

It is of course possible that you might have one or more valuable bottles in the remainder of the 10 bottles you mention. Hopefully the above may help you determine this, or if you want to post a photo (or just info) on the other bottles we can help advise further.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

There is also a pic of a Fortnum’s 2000 LBV which would have been produced by Niepoort and most likely drinking very well.