1985 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1985 Dow

Post by rich_n »

A bottle to share with my family over Christmas, this one was showing very slight signs of seepage. My dad managed to get the cork out whole with just a regular wing corkscrew!

Decant + 5 hours:

A dark brick red with a hint of purple, still fairly opaque but fading to an orange/brown at the very edges of the glass.

Quite a spirity nose, hiding a touch of red cherry and maybe a little tobacco. On entry this seems initially quite simple, leading just with spicy cherry and eucalyptus. However in the mid palate this parts to a more complex and luscious wine - cinnamon and vanilla arrive with strawberry, with an underpinning acidity that balances while remaining in the background. More spice and pepper arrive late, along with dark chocolate and the finish is long.

+1 day

A touch of red fruit on the nose but very subtle. Sweet smooth strawberries on the entry now that breaks into a waves of first red cherry, eucalyptus, then pepper and cinnamon spice and finally milk chocolate as it works into the back of the palate. My father says he's getting prunes but sugared sweetness with them, and some allspice.

+2 days

A less complex affair now, red fruits and spice dominate with a little chocolate and tannic grip rounding out the mouth. Still enjoyable easy drinking.

This is my first 80s port and seems like a good first choice! Very good indeed.