Thu 15 December 2022 - The Port Forum's 15th Xmas Tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Thu 15 December 2022 - The Port Forum's 15th Xmas Tasting

Post by uncle tom »

Well we had a great night and (smug attack..) was very pleased to see my bottle, revealed as Tuke Holdsworth '22, get one of the best WOTN scores ever.

But the clean up has been a chore.. - the liquid chalk used to mark the glasses does not wash off easily as I expected, but worse, the pub's water supply froze solid last night and I have enlisted every electric heater I can lay my hands on to try to try to thaw it out..

- Oh well..

20-74-05 50118761 THR Archer - if anyone needs the detail..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glad it was a good time. And bummer on the frozen pipes. Hopefully none break.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Bad luck about the pipes, although I'm glad you had a good night!

Re- marking glasses. I've tried a few things over the years. I think chalk markers are only really suitable for semi-permanent use. I use them to write in the bottom of a bottle what's in them so I can tell when they are lying down what they are.

For glasses, I might try a permanent marker like a sharpie since, despite its name, it rubs off with a little isopropyl alcohol. I've tried other things like whiteboard markers and Chinagraph pencils but they either don't have enough pigment for clear glass or are problematic to remove.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

PS. I think you can also buy dissolvable labels designed for caterers which dissolve in a dishwasher which might be worth trying if you've only used general purpose stickers before.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sharpie comes off glasses with soap and water. I use a sharpie all the time.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: 16:45 Sat 17 Dec 2022 Sharpie comes off glasses with soap and water. I use a sharpie all the time.
I find that dry erase works better for me, though you do then run the risk of smudging the markings accidentally during use.

Sharpie requires hand cleaning each glass because I've found that I do have to rub a bit to get it to come off. It's not hard, but it does require some individual attention to each glass. I have 100+ cheap INAO glasses and prefer to clean them 48 at a time in my dishwasher. Dry erase usually comes off in the dishwasher, and what doesn't come off brushes off easily with a soft cotton dishrag as you're re-storing the glasses in their boxes.

Glad you all had a wonderful evening!
Glenn Elliott
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

Thank you for hosting us again Tom. It was great to see everyone and there were some excellent wines on show! Not really a bad one considering the average decade was the 20’s..
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Tom, may I add my sincere thanks to those of others, it was a splendid occasion, and your Tuke Holdsworth 1922 was a worthy runaway winner: a fine tribute to your father.