Pork Pie and Branston Pickle

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Pork Pie and Branston Pickle

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I need some advice on Pork Pie etiquette please.

As some of you know, I will be at the Oval to watch the rain / England collapse / devastating English brilliance.

In preparation I have purchased a Pork Pie from the butcher in Lavenham, Suffolk having tasted one earlier in the day.

They are fabulous, but my worry is that I can’t imagine eating it without a jar of Branston Pickle.

So my etiquette question is whether it is regarded as acceptable to eat a Pork Pie smothered in lashings of pickle?

Thank you for your guidance,

Worried of Wokingham.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Pork Pie and Branston Pickle

Post by PhilW »

Alex Bridgeman wrote:.So my etiquette question is whether it is regarded as acceptable to eat a Pork Pie smothered in lashings of pickle?

Thank you for your guidance,

Worried of Wokingham.
Sounds grim to me, but perhaps some crusty bread with lashings of pickle could be eaten alongside the pork pie (and indeed more easily transported as a well-filled doorstep pickle sandwich)?
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Sandwiches, yes, good idea. Or perhaps pork pie soldiers dipped into a pot of whizzed up pickle. But the pastry might fall off, so you might have to further deconstruct the pie. And perhaps you like the texture as well as the flavour of pickle, so a complete non starter. And also, the pot might fill up with rain :(
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 20:37 Wed 07 Sep 2022is {it} regarded as acceptable to eat a Pork Pie smothered in lashings of pickle?
No. Just no.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn