Royal Warrants

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Royal Warrants

Post by Doggett »

With the sad passing of the Queen, meaning we have a new King, I was wondering if Royal Warrants transfer automatically or if each retailer and brand that holds one will need to apply to see if they will be required by King Charles. Anyone know?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Royal Warrants

Post by PhilW »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59596996 wrote:For the last century or so the monarch, their consort and heir have each issued their own Royal Warrants - making them grantors - and there are currently about 900 Royal Warrants held by 800 companies.

When a grantor dies, any Royal Warrants they issued become void and the company has two years to stop using the Royal Arms. (Exceptionally, warrants issued by the Queen Mother stood for five years after her death.)

The warrants Charles has issued as Prince of Wales will continue now that he is King because they go with the household, not the title.

There is an expectation that the new King will now grant his son and heir, Prince William, the ability to issue his own warrants.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Thanks Phil. My research prior to posing the question was poor. So to reinforce that poor level of research, I pose another question. Is there any evidence of the new King liking Port or what his tipple is? Jdaw will obviously be writing to see he if he would join us at the Boot and Flogger in the coming months to celebrate his ascension to the throne.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Doggett wrote: 17:19 Fri 09 Sep 2022 Thanks Phil. My research prior to posing the question was poor. So to reinforce that poor level of research, I pose another question. Is there any evidence of the new King liking Port or what his tipple is? Jdaw will obviously be writing to see he if he would join us at the Boot and Flogger in the coming months to celebrate his ascension to the throne.
Whilst Taylor’s have had one for, I think, decades. Graham’s only acquired one in the last couple of years. Not sure what that tells us about the Late Majesty’s tastes in Port*.

Incidentally, whilst Taylor’s warrant was as “Suppliers of Port Wine”, Graham’s was as “Purveyors of Graham's Port” which seems pretty inelegant, although I wonder if there is a rule against more than one company having a warrant for the same goods or services?

Does anyone else know what other Royal Warrants for Port are in existence? I’m sure I’ve looked it up for some of the Scandinavian monarchies in the past but can’t remember what I found.

[* Boring answer, probably not a lot since it could have been granted on the basis of what she bought to give to her staff at Christmas!]
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I thought all royal warrants have to reapply.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

That's what's being reported, although I'm surprised Charles' ones don't simply continue. Once the transition periods for the DoE and QEII expire, we'll be down to a single one for the first time in decades, unless Charles grants the right to issue them to William (and maybe Camilla, too?). I presume the 4 that existed until the Queen Mother's death was the most at one time.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

According to what I've read, which admittedly isn't that much, Charles' warrants do continue. As do anyone else's who could still theoretically issue a new one.

Useful website.

Of note (from What Happens When the Grantor Dies):
The Royal Warrant document will become void but the company or individual may continue to use the Royal Arms in connection with the business for up to two years, provided there is no significant change within the company concerned. The Royal Household will review Warrant grants upon a change of reigning Sovereign.
Emphasis mine.
Glenn Elliott