Mastermind

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Mastermind

Post by nac »

One of the contestants on Mastermind this week answered questions on The Wines of Portugal. Worth watching & he did quite well.

Coincidentally, I played against him in Quiz League of London on Tuesday evening.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: Mastermind

Post by Doggett »

And… ???
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Doggett wrote: 22:59 Fri 28 Oct 2022And… ???
We lost.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

nac wrote: 00:27 Sat 29 Oct 2022
Doggett wrote: 22:59 Fri 28 Oct 2022And… ???
We lost.
More Port, Wine and Champagne questions were needed and it would have been a different result, even with their Mastermind!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I only managed 6! I was rather annoyed that I couldn’t remember a further 2 questions where I once knew the answers but had forgotten.

I thought I might have had a fighting chance with the previous round (Life and Music of John Cage) but the only one I got right was, weirdly, one of only two that the contestant got wrong!
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

any links for the questions?
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

It’s Episode 6 which is (in some locations) available to watch on the iplayer.

The questions (no answers!) were:
1. What well-known slightly sparkling rose sold in a flask-shaped bottle was created by Fernando Van Zeller Guedes in 1942?

2. What word meaning “farm” or “country-house” is widely used in Portugal for a single wine-producing estate such as Crasto, de la Rosa, or Noval?

3. Which wine region in Southern Portugal, whose name literally means “beyond the Tagus”, is also the centre of the cork industry?

4. What Spanish name is commonly used in English for the grape known in Portugal as Tinto Roriz or Aragonez?

5. What is the name of the hotel, built as a royal palace in the 1880, which produces unusual wines from the Dao and Bairrada?

6. In 2012 who became the first women to wine Portugal’s wine maker of the year?

7. What is the common name on Madeira for the wine variety known as Esgana Cão or “dog strangler”, thought to be because of its acidity?

8. Which British singer planted a vineyard in his Quinta in the Algarve to make the Vida Nova range of wine?

9. What renowned high-quality red wine produced at the Cartuxa estate has a name which is said to be devised from term for the gapping stones of its loose granite soil?

10. In 1756 which Portuguese Prime Minister created an area within the Alta Douro to preserve the quality of Port?

11. The Spanish Mencia grape is thought to be brought by the pilgrims to the Dao where it is called what?

12. What is the name of the family owned business which owns Cockburn’s, Dow’s, Graham’s and Warres’ and makes various single estate wines?
I was annoyed at getting 5 and 7 wrong. I didn’t have a clue about 6, 9 and 11. I could probably have guessed 8 having thought about it some more!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I managed a poor 9 out of 12. My main irritation being that I had three candidates for the first women winemaker of the year and guessed the wrong one!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
sean.mcgrath
Cheap Ruby

Post by sean.mcgrath »

I hope they didn't ask question eight right before two.