Sandeman Port on Fox News

Anything to do with Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Sandeman Port on Fox News

Post by mosesbotbol »

On "Fox and Friends" this morning there was a segment on wines for Halloween. All of the wines promoted were from Portugal including Sandeman 10 year tawny. Others included Papa Figo white and Mateus Rose among others.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Sandeman Port on Fox News

Post by JacobH »

Papa Figo & Mateus Rose don’t immediately scream “Halloween” to me! (Or even Autumn / Fall for that matter...).

From the range it sounds like a promotion for Sogrape: did they say anything interesting?
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

JacobH wrote: 11:58 Sun 30 Oct 2022 Papa Figo & Mateus Rose don’t immediately scream “Halloween” to me! (Or even Autumn / Fall for that matter...).

From the range it sounds like a promotion for Sogrape: did they say anything interesting?
Each wine was paired with a candy or treat. She said that Sandeman has been making port for a long time and Mateus Rose is good any time of year. She had a short time to promote and explain everything. Fox and Friends hosts talking to her seem to enjoy the red wine and port by their reaction to swirling and smelling the wines. All served in a general red wine glass.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Can’t see Mateus Rose being an obvious choice for those parts of the USA which have freezing cold winters! (Also: this has made me look at its technical specification. The blend is said to be Baga; Rufete; Tinta Barroca; and Touriga Franca which I thought was interesting: I wasn’t expecting it to have Baga in it.)
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

JacobH wrote: 12:19 Tue 01 Nov 2022 Can’t see Mateus Rose being an obvious choice for those parts of the USA which have freezing cold winters! (Also: this has made me look at its technical specification. The blend is said to be Baga; Rufete; Tinta Barroca; and Touriga Franca which I thought was interesting: I wasn’t expecting it to have Baga in it.)
Interesting indeed. Mateus and Lancers were the most popular Portuguese wine brands in the US back 70-80's. The quality association with both was on the jug wine level. In New England, Mateus was especially popular. I've largely dismissed the brand, but that rose has got me interested. I don't mind a rose in the winter, on snowy day stuck inside.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

We don’t really have jug wine in the UK but Mateus was hugely popular in the same period and into the 1990s; although there was a tendency to look down on it as a bit naff. I suppose it was in a similar category to Blue Nun (a similar German wine). The picture on the front of the bottle is of the palace in Villa Real: I’ve tried and failed to visit that a few times on trips to the Douro!
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

JacobH wrote: 10:08 Wed 02 Nov 2022 I suppose it was in a similar category to Blue Nun (a similar German wine).
Bringing back names from the past! Haven't heard that wine mentioned in a long time. Same in the States as a comparison.