The Fladgate Partnership with Chris Forbes: Uncorked: 9 November 2022

What happened?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

The Fladgate Partnership with Chris Forbes: Uncorked: 9 November 2022

Post by JacobH »

Julian and I went to this tasting. It was the first time I’ve been to Uncorked’s new shop which is quite nice and has a good space for small tasting. The staff continue to be fantastic and I would continue to recommend it as a place to buy Port in London.

The tawnies were enlarged from the advertised 20 + 30 YO to the 20, 30, 40 and 50 year old. This was the first time I’ve tried one of the new “50 YOT” Ports so that was a very welcome surprise.

We also tried the following vintage ports:

2016 Croft
2013 Taylor's Quinta De Vargellas
2011 Taylor's
2008 Fonseca Guimaraens
2004 Croft Quinta De Roeda
2004 Fonseca Quinta Panascal
2000 Fonseca
1985 Fonseca
1985 Taylor's

I will try to type up and post notes in due course.

As a summary:

The 50 year old tawny is fantastic. It is a huge step up over the 40 year old. It’s seriously expensive, of course, but I think I would prefer to drink two bottles of that for every three of the 40 year olds, if that makes sense. From memory, I think it is much better than some of the recent Taylor / Krohn colheitas. Really excellent Port.

Of the vintage Ports, the stand out was the 2016 Croft. I haven’t tried this before but it was fantastic: beautiful to drink now but clearly with long aging potential. I’d like to try it against some other 2016s. Incidentally, I didn’t realise that this was a SQVP from Roêda (although not advertised as such). The next best was the 1985 Fonseca. This was showing beautifully.

I also enjoyed this tasting as being the first in a while when I’ve tried some Taylor and Fonseca against one another. It really reinforced my preference for the latter against the former. This is helpful to know for further purchases!