Morphets auction

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Morphets auction

Post by nac »

Considering bidding on a couple of lots at current Morphets auction, but am put off by their extreme unhelpfulness in regards to delivery.

Anyone have experience of buying from them and arranging delivery?

There’s always Benelux, but would prefer a slightly less financially ruinous alternative.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Morphets auction

Post by uncle tom »

It's an old school auction house mostly selling local stuff to local people - always been friendly when I've dealt with them.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I don’t know Morphets but dealing with some other auction houses, I am amazed at how difficult they can be, particularly with regards to delivery and collection. I emailed one about a small, light and non-fragile antique recently; didn’t receive a reply for weeks and their quote for postage was just laughable. I have no issues with them making a profit on postage but it was just out of all proportions. And of course, this was one that was charging a basic 25% buyers’ and a 25% sellers’ premium so their profit margin must have been astronomical...
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

I have only collected from them before, I'm not in that area for a bit.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Maybe we need a section dedicated to Auction houses and problems and praises connected to them. When I started buying Port at auction, in the late 1980's, buyers commission was typically 8% in Ireland and vendors paid 10%. Nowadays it's common to pay up to 29% as a buyer and vendors up to 25%. Auctioneers are now, imo, just retailers with none of the hassle of having to stand over the goods they sell. Nice business as they say. My most recent unpleasant experience was with Brightwells. I couldn't say their Customer service was poor because it was non-exixtent; I will neither buy or even visit their website again (worst experience with an aucion house in 35 years).

Julian move this to a new subject if you think it's appropriate.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

At some point winebid is going to come in and eat their lunch, so they are just making hay while the sun shines. I reckon Strakers, Bonhams Sothebys and Christies will survive but the rest will be toast.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Justin K wrote: 19:55 Tue 06 Dec 2022 Maybe we need a section dedicated to Auction houses and problems and praises connected to them. When I started buying Port at auction, in the late 1980's, buyers commission was typically 8% in Ireland and vendors paid 10%. Nowadays it's common to pay up to 29% as a buyer and vendors up to 25%. Auctioneers are now, imo, just retailers with none of the hassle of having to stand over the goods they sell. Nice business as they say. My most recent unpleasant experience was with Brightwells. I couldn't say their Customer service was poor because it was non-exixtent; I will neither buy or even visit their website again (worst experience with an aucion house in 35 years).

Julian move this to a new subject if you think it's appropriate.
Very surprised to hear about that Brightwells experience. I've bought there very frequently and usually get a very friendly and rapid response from them. I wonder if the regular wine guy was on holiday or something with your situation!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I don't use Brightwells anything like the amount I used to, but back in the days when I did, they were always very approachable - although I found telephone the easiest way to get things done with them.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.