Software question

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Software question

Post by Glenn E. »

I am attempting to make placemats for a tasting of varietals and want to be able to label each glass's circle with the varietal in question.

4 of the 5 varietals are two words, e.g. Touriga Nacional or Tinto Cao. Easy... use Abovetitles and Belowtitles!

1 of the 5 varietals is a single word: Sousao. Easy... use Titles!

Problem: when doing the above, the software does not use the same size font Sousao as it uses for the other 4 glasses. So it looks odd.
example.png
example.png (38.46 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
Is there a way to make all 5 glasses use the same size font?

Or is there a better way to achieve this particular goal than using Titles, Abovetitles, and Belowtitles?

(For the record, the order has not yet been determined. This just a first draft to figure out how to do the titles.)
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Software question

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote: 23:15 Tue 06 Dec 2022Is there a way to make all 5 glasses use the same size font?
Two ways.
  • If two font sizes have ratio, larger/smaller, that is ≤ FontSizesRatioTitlesMin, then the larger is reduced to the smaller. So /FontSizesRatioTitlesMin 99 def makes all font sizes the same.
  • FontSizesTitlesEquivalences is an array of the same length as Titles, and elements that are eq are set to the same size. By default this is set to [0 1 2 3 …], so does nothing. But /FontSizesTitlesEquivalences [ Titles length {0} repeat ] def would make all the same.
That is for the Titles; there are equivalent for the Above… / Below… / Over…..
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

These instructions appear to me to standardize the font size within one of the several arrays. (I tried /FontSizesRatioTitlesMin 99 def and it had no effect.)

I need to standardize the font size across multiple arrays, specifically Abovetitles, Belowtitles, and Titles.

Because I've reduced the image size to make it workable on the forum, it may not be entirely obvious that the Titles "Sousao" is a larger font than all of the other Abovetitles and Belowtitles. I would like to shrink "Sousao" down to the font size of, for example, "Tinto Cao".

(I also need to figure out how to use Sousão with the accent, but I get... weird results when I try to cut and paste.)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Aha!

Given the above instructions, I changed all of Titles to blank and used Overtitles for the Sousao glass. I then also set

Code: Select all

/FontSizesRatioAboveBelowOverMin 99 def
and that did the trick.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Now I just need to get Sousão and Tinto Cão fixed with the proper 'ã'.
example.png
example.png (38.18 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Glenn Elliott
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Glenn E. wrote: 00:56 Wed 07 Dec 2022 Now I just need to get Sousão and Tinto Cão fixed with the proper 'ã'.
example.png
Have you tried using ASCII codes? I think the code for "ã" is Alt+227 (or Alt+0227, can't recall).
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

Glenn E. wrote: 00:56 Wed 07 Dec 2022 Now I just need to get Sousão and Tinto Cão fixed with the proper 'ã'.
Shame on you to think JDAW hadn't already dealt and subsequently documented this :D

http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/trivia ... ities.html

Edit:
Also more recently, on github https://github.com/jdaw1/placemat/blob/ ... .md#readme
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Success! Zak's second link was what I needed. Thanks!
example.png
example.png (38.39 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Glenn Elliott
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

github sounds like an AKA for TPF 😀