NV Churchill Club Tawny

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Churchill Club Tawny

Post by JacobH »

I was looking for something to open tonight in the wine fridge which I could drink for the sake of drinking without feeling too guilty. In rummaging around, I found the second bottle of the “one time” club tawny. I thought to myself: “I don‘t need to write a note. I’ve drunk this before. I can just add another virtual chalk mark to the wall.”

What I had forgotten was what a serious wine this is. I am not sure if the 2022 blend was the same as the 2021 blend, although I think they are similar. Looking at the nose, I think the main difference is that this is rather more spirity with some non-ethanol volatile spirits that are somewhat unattractive. A bit of decanting would probably sort it out, though. Everything else is pretty similar. As I said 18 months ago: “It is by some measure the best basic tawny I have tried but that is not a fair comparison.”

What I didn’t say then but I do think now is that it is not fair to send this out to Port Club members without a warning that if they are thinking of opening for uncomplicated quaffing purposes they shouldn’t because this is actually a very serious Port.