The Warre 2006 LBV mystery

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

The Warre 2006 LBV mystery

Post by uncle tom »

Warre have two LBV offerings - the blue foil bottle aged variety that we tend to see most of, and a young red foil offering with T stopper that seems to be mostly, but not exclusively, sold to airlines. I surmise that the blue foil variant is by far the biggest seller, but I don't know that for a fact.

Each LBV then gets two releases. I was a bit surprised when the blue top offering suddenly jumped from 2004 vintage to 2007, then followed by 2008 and now 2009.

Was there no Warre LBV made for two straight years?

Now I can see proof that there was a red top 2006 sold:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... image-link

- So, what happened to the blue top release of 2006 then?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: The Warre 2006 LBV mystery

Post by Doggett »

Glenn maybe able to advise but I believe the US seems to get the years we don’t. I think 2005/6 were released the other side of the pond… but may have misremembered that.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

That's interesting. Are any other wines shipped like this (i.e. every other year?). I'm wondering what the advantage to that might be. Especially since I think the Warre is supposed to be a little vintage-driven (e.g. the 2007 being better than the 2006) but perhaps I have got that wrong and it is supposed to be a generally consistent product.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

We do tend to get different years in the US than you get in Europe, but it's normally not exclusive and the releases tend to leak back and forth regardless. I don't see 2006 or 2007 in the US... we appear to skip from 2005 straight to 2008.

Off the top of my head I don't recall much of interest from 2006 at all, but it would be surprising if they didn't make a 2007 LBV because that was a pretty good year all-around. It was no 2011 to be sure, but there should have been plenty of juice for both the declared VPs that were made as well as LBVs.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I can't recall ever seeing the red capsule version, though I may have and just don't remember. What airline carries it? I know Lufthansa has Graham's TWAIOA and LBV in Business and First.

Generally speaking and not specific to Warre's. Unfiltered LBV's tend to be bottled based on a number of factors which include, but not limited too:

- Was the year good enough to do so.
- Can the market sustain a new vintage. Ex: if there is still 20XX available in the market (retail or distribution channels) then it's not worth sending out a new vintage which then floods the market and the inevitable price dump that weakens the pricing of the product.
- Is that higher quality juice needed for something else in the producers line up.
- Is there enough quantity to release. Or release broadly to enough markets to make it worth producing.
- Is the juice needed for an existing contract. Hypothetically, say TAP wants 30,000 bottles of 2016 Tonel LVB (I made that producer up) but the producer only has 32,000 bottles worth of juice. It may be more beneficial to the company to not put out in retail channels an unfiltered version that year and sell it all as a filtered LBV to the airline. Then use the remainder for something else.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

What airline carries it? I know Lufthansa has Graham's TWAIOA and LBV
Lufthansa used to, but they seem to skip around the producers - they were heavily into Niepoort for a while, and I think they served me Taylor once.

Thai has always had Warre, and IIRC it was also on board Turkish and EVA when I flew with them.

As a general rule, I don't let the plane land before the bottle is empty.. :P
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:
What airline carries it? I know Lufthansa has Graham's TWAIOA and LBV
Lufthansa used to, but they seem to skip around the producers - they were heavily into Niepoort for a while, and I think they served me Taylor once.

Thai has always had Warre, and IIRC it was also on board Turkish and EVA when I flew with them.

As a general rule, I don't let the plane land before the bottle is empty.. :P
Lufthansa has had Grahams for more than 20 years.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Some airlines have different wines on different routes. I know BA does this with their table wines ( but not with their Port).
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.