NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by JacobH »

I am staying away for work this week. Last week, I was reasonably prepared and brought some Crusted port; a corkscrew; filter and decanter. But this week, I failed to pack anything and so had to venture out to the nearest Sainsbury’s to see what they had. I wasn’t particularly tempted by a Taylor LBV or 10YOT; the Dow’s Trademark reserve; or the Sainsbury’s Ruby; so 1 litre of Cockburn Special Reserve it was.

I’m not sure when I last bought a bottle of this. My notes suggest maybe 2013 when I was not impressed.

Colour is pretty good. Decently opaque purple, fading a little to lighter purple at the rim.

I’m using terrible cheap glasses and there isn’t much on the nose. Some distant fruits.

In the mouth, I get a decent hit of fruit with some mint followed by sugar and a little tannin. Glacé cherries predominate. The aftertaste has that hollowness I often associate with cheaper Ports which is not great and it’s perhaps a touch spirity, too. But it is not actively unpleasant as many of the older notes on this site suggest and I would happily quaff a bottle with some food without complaining.

I don’t think, when we complained bitterly about this Port a decade ago, we were all wrong. I also don’t think that I’ve become less of a Port snob in the 15 years-or-so that I’ve been drinking it seriously. Is it just a better wine than it was in the past?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I had the chance recently to compare the Cockburn Special Reserve and the Graham 6 Grapes side by side.

I also thought the CSR to be perfectly pleasant, better than it used to be. But it pales in comparison with the 6 Grapes (which, in turn, pales in comparison with the Vilha Velha limited edition version).

Sorry, I got distracted. Yes - I also think the CSR is a better wine these days than a decade ago.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

It may be rose tinted spectacles but I do remember the Cockburn Special Reserve being more than merely 'quite pleasant' about thirty five years ago. But then, as I recall, it cost about £6. The equivalent price now would be about £17 rather than the £12 Tesco have it for.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’m still working my way through this bottle and something I’ve noticed is that after 5 days’ decant, it is holding up extremely well. The nose is not very present but in the mouth, I get velvety-smooth simple fruits, with just enough tannins to make it feel like proper Port, and no excess spirit or hollowness.

I imagine that 99% bottles of this kick around open for far too long. It makes me wonder whether they are blending for that. No idea how you make a Port which is designed to remain open for a long time, though.

In any event, this has grown on me. I am now impressed. It’s not a Graham’s 1955 but as some quaffing Port it is very good.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 10:47 Wed 08 Mar 2023 I also thought the CSR to be perfectly pleasant, better than it used to be. But it pales in comparison with the 6 Grapes (which, in turn, pales in comparison with the Vilha Velha limited edition version).
I’m yet to see a bottle of the Six Grapes VV for sale and, indeed, I think the Six Grapes itself is not quite as available as the CSR. The day I do get a bottle, there will be a decent tasting!