1969 Recommendation.

Anything to do with Port.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

1969 Recommendation.

Post by Sideways »

Hi all

I am fast approaching the big 40, next year, vintage '69.

From what I have read '69 is not a declared year but some decent wines were produced. I would like to get hold of a bottle of port to put away for the event, can any of you recommend a '69 that is drinking well?

Once I have one or two recco's I can go looking to buy, any suggestions on where they can be found would be very much appreciated too. Perhaps one of you has a bottle you are willing to sell?

Thanks.
Vintage Shmintage.
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1969 is not a year that comes up for sale or resale very often in port. I don't have any 1969s in my cellar and don't think that I have ever tasted one.

I know Taylor bottled a Crusted Port in 1969.

A quick look on Wine Searcher indicates that there is a Warre (presumably Cavadinha, colheita or LBV), a Quinta do San Luiz colheita, a Barros colheita, a JW Hart colheita, a Dow of some description, a Kopke colheita and a variety of Aussie wannabes. Prices for the Douro wines range from £50-185 per bottle before sales taxes and postage.

I vaguely remember seeing 1969 Vargellas (I think - but don't hold me to it) at auction. It might be worth you calling the Taylor Fladgate and the Symington's agents in the UK and asking them if there are any plans to release ex-cellars stocks to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the wine (explain that it's your birth year). Even if there are no plans, you might still be able to secure yourself a six-pack of something shipped over especially for you.

You also have lots of choice of madeira - plenty was made from the 1969 vintage and there is no shortage of it in the market.

Good luck!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

My records show that in terms of VP only Taylor Vargellas, Noval and Noval Nacional were released in 1969.

I don't have any 1969s in my cellar.

Best of luck!

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I don't think the Noval's were released - Broadbent recorded cask sample tastings, but I think that was as far as it got.

I have a bottle from '69 in the cellar which I'll happily part with - but it's not port!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Some sound advice, thanks guys.
Vintage Shmintage.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

uncle tom wrote: I have a bottle from '69 in the cellar which I'll happily part with - but it's not port!

Tom
Interesting... Bordeaux was poor, Burgundy much better, perhaps a Richebourg? £20? Sold. :wink:
Vintage Shmintage.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Calvados - Pays d'Auge

Slightly slug chewed label - retails for around £90

Want to make me an offer?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

uncle tom wrote:Calvados - Pays d'Auge

Slightly slug chewed label - retails for around £90

Want to make me an offer?

Tom
That's very kind of you Tom but it's not what I had in mind.
Vintage Shmintage.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

My no-Fields-medal event is later this year.

Post by jdaw1 »

My no-Fields-medal†  event is later this year. My plan was to ignore it. But a non-expensive 1968 might be a productive thing to have in my hand whilst ignoring it.

†  Yes, the modulo 4 matter is being ignored.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I have a vargellas 69 but I have only one bottle.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

I’d like to say thank you to Simon Lisle for kindly allowing me to acquire his only bottle of Vargellas '69.

:)
Vintage Shmintage.