2001 Warre Cavadinha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2001 Warre Cavadinha

Post by winesecretary »

Suffering from a bad case of exploding cork syndrome (still).

90% opaque. Red rim.

Dumb nose.

A bit of rubber. Some fruit.

Hot finish.

This has either shut down super- hard or this bottle ain’t right. Probably the latter. I’m off to open something else.

I will give it another chance tomorrow but if it doesn’t sort itself out then I’ll be turning it into cooking wine.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2001 Warre Cavadinha

Post by rich_n »

winesecretary wrote:Suffering from a bad case of exploding cork syndrome (still).

90% opaque. Red rim.

Dumb nose.

A bit of rubber. Some fruit.

Hot finish.

This has either shut down super- hard or this bottle ain’t right. Probably the latter. I’m off to open something else.

I will give it another chance tomorrow but if it doesn’t sort itself out then I’ll be turning it into cooking wine.
I had a bottle of this that also had a rubber note and a dumb nose, and seemed shut down, but that was probably about 4 years ago and I was hoping these would be starting to open up now. I wonder if I should open another to see how it's doing or hold off for a while longer...?
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2001 Warre Cavadinha

Post by winesecretary »

Most of the other notes on this wine over the same period do not reflect this profile so it may be that we were both unlucky. But will report back tomorrow.