Playful consequences tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Playful consequences tasting

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote: 20:37 Fri 03 Nov 2023 (yes, this statement could have playful consequences)
Ahem. 4 identical bottles, preferably from the same case to ensure the same provenance.

Bottle #1: pop and pour at tasting, no decant.
Bottle #2: splash decant into decanter then immediately return to the bottle. Travel to tasting later.
Bottle #3: normal decant into decanter, return to bottle after an appropriate amount of time to travel to tasting.
Bottle #4: normal decant into decanter, travel to tasting in decanter.

Please do the right thing.

It seems to me that something around 30 years of age would perhaps show any differences well? Depending on the Port chosen, that would seem to indicate 4-8 hours of decant time before the tasting begins.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Playful consequences tasting

Post by jdaw1 »

Fuller quotation, to save readers effort:
jdaw1 wrote: 20:37 Fri 03 Nov 2023I don’t believe that there is a material between single and double decanting (yes, this statement could have playful consequences). Both thoroughly tumble the liquid with air: they are properly mixed. Does a second tumble add to that? Well, in this context, air is mixed in, so I think not. So either single into decanter, or immediately back into the bottle — whatever is convenient.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote: 21:10 Fri 03 Nov 2023It seems to me that something around 30 years of age would perhaps show any differences well?
I could do this to four F85s, now 38 years old.
Oscar Wilde wrote:Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote: 01:35 Sat 04 Nov 2023 I could do this to four F85s, now 38 years old.
I’m available!
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

So am I. I am drinking a bottle this weekend and it is joyous.
mcoulson
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by mcoulson »

If we can find a couple or three candidates then we would have 12 bottles and three ports to split between us ... I've got several candidates that could join in here ...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote: 21:10 Fri 03 Nov 2023Bottle #1: pop and pour at tasting, no decant.
Bottle #2: splash decant into decanter then immediately return to the bottle. Travel to tasting later.
Bottle #3: normal decant into decanter, return to bottle after an appropriate amount of time to travel to tasting.
#1 seems to be a very different thing. #3 is merely a compromise between #2 and #4. We could keep it at pairs of bottles (single-decanted; double-decanted), and so have more pairs. I vote for this.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Splendid idea.
Probably have a candidate as well.
hadge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by hadge »

jdaw1 wrote: 01:33 Sat 04 Nov 2023 Fuller quotation, to save readers effort:
jdaw1 wrote: 20:37 Fri 03 Nov 2023I don’t believe that there is a material between single and double decanting (yes, this statement could have playful consequences). Both thoroughly tumble the liquid with air: they are properly mixed. Does a second tumble add to that? Well, in this context, air is mixed in, so I think not. So either single into decanter, or immediately back into the bottle — whatever is convenient.
I would have to disagree with this statement. with 2 different tastings I have done.

I open a mag of W77 at the weekend, the first part of the bottle had been decanted into a small old school claret decanter, then they didn't have anymore decanters, when having a quick look I found a pair of carafes. I decanted the second part into the first of the carafes and then thought that it would be good for them to be in a matching pair, so i then poured the claret decanter into the second the carafes. when coming to taste around 3 hours later, the first (which had been double decanted) was just losing the hot and sharp finish and with in a few minutes of the glass was lovely and smooth. we finished the first decanter and then moved onto the second (single decanted) was still very hot and sharp on the finish was taking a longtime in the glass to get going, so after about 10mins, I double decanted it and after about 15 mins in the decanter it started become the same as the first decanter. it was like having 2 different wines in front of you.

i have had a similar thing happen with a F66 but with wine glasses and watching it evolve, in the first glass and then you pour a new glass after 20mins from the decanter and you can have 2 different wines. this bottle was decanted into a Sandeman 20 year old bottle, when we pulled the stopper of i fell that it was very under decanted (7 hours decanted this way) so put this into red wine glasses.

Therefore I think there is a tasting to be organised a long the lines of,

decanter shapes and single vs double decanting.

decant and straight back into the bottle
decant into a high sided decanter
decant into a ships decanter
and if need be into a carafe

then the other part is decanting a mag, split with straight into a decanter and other part into a jug and then poured into the decanter
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote: 20:46 Sat 04 Nov 2023
Glenn E. wrote: 21:10 Fri 03 Nov 2023Bottle #1: pop and pour at tasting, no decant.
#1 seems to be a very different thing. #3 is merely a compromise between #2 and #4. We could keep it at pairs of bottles (single-decanted; double-decanted), and so have more pairs. I vote for this.
It is unclear to me what is meant by "single-decanted" and "double-decanted". I have heard both used many times, but this discussion leads me to believe that I don't understand what's actually meant by the terms.

To my understanding, to "decant" is to pour the wine into a larger vessel so that it can breathe. The "decant time" is the amount of time that it spends in this vessel.

So to "double decant" something would require that it be poured into a larger vessel for some amount of time, then ... what, poured into an even larger vessel for some additional amount of time? Or perhaps decant, return the Port to the original bottle for travel, then decant again at the venue?

Specifically, it does not seem to me that pouring the wine back into its original bottle is "decanting" that wine. So #3 would not be double decanting as I understand the terms.

("Splash decanting" as I understand it is just shorthand for a very short decant. Pour it into a decanter, agitate it, and pour it back into its original bottle immediately.)
Glenn Elliott
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Have we ever done a halves vs bottles vs mags tasting?
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

winesecretary wrote: 22:10 Mon 06 Nov 2023 Have we ever done a halves vs bottles vs mags tasting?
Wanted to do that with W77.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

nac wrote:
winesecretary wrote: 22:10 Mon 06 Nov 2023 Have we ever done a halves vs bottles vs mags tasting?
I have a W77 tappit if/when you do.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

PhilW wrote: 21:39 Wed 08 Nov 2023
nac wrote:
I have a W77 tappit if/when you do.
Thanks. I have one as well, so we can definitely do all four! Ideally I think we need to do something else at the same time. The problem is finding the halves, and we probably need two...
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Warre and Graham both made 1985 in half albeit I don’t currently own any. I can go hunting if need be.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have Warre (and Dow) 1985 in halves.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

⸘Halves‽