2020 Quinta da Fonte Souto Taifa Branco

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2020 Quinta da Fonte Souto Taifa Branco

Post by Andy Velebil »

This is the debut vintage of this limited production "ultra" white from the property. Whereas the previous flagship white was about 75% Arinto and about 25% Verdelho, this wine is 100% Arinto aged for 11 months in 100% new Hungarian and French oak barrels and then aged for an additional two years in bottle before being release a short time ago. The nose is deceivingly thick and creamy. The palate, however, couldn't be more different. The searing acidity initially dominates. With several hours of air it subsides a bit and allows the laser focused and complex citrus fruit to come forward. What remained constant throughout about 5 hours of tasting this was the most incredible precision of what is best described as a wet stone/flinty/minerality right down the center of my tongue that lingered for a very long time. Rather unusual, but fantastic, for a Portuguese white. I tasted this over about 5 hours and it was at its best at the end, and still getting better. I found it showed better at a cool, but not cold, temperature and in a Burgundy glass. This is a wine that I have no doubt will age nicely for many years to come and will be better off for it. While a big step up in price from it's brother, which is fantastic in its own right, this white is a big step up in quality as well.
95 points
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2020 Quinta da Fonte Souto Taifa Branco

Post by MigSU »

I've been meaning to try it. This sounds encouraging. Thanks for sharing, Andy.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2020 Quinta da Fonte Souto Taifa Branco

Post by Andy Velebil »

MigSU wrote:I've been meaning to try it. This sounds encouraging. Thanks for sharing, Andy.
Your welcome. Don’t be afraid to give it a good long decant and don’t serve too cold. Cellar temp is perfect. Please post your thoughts on it when you open yours. I’d love to read your thoughts on it.