May 23rd, 2024 - LBV - The Young Turks

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
User avatar
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3534
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

May 23rd, 2024 - LBV - The Young Turks

Post by uncle tom »

Date: Thursday May 23rd 2024
Venue: Boot and Flogger - Red room - booked

The plan:

To purchase two dozen different bottles of LBV from Portugal Vineyards and have them shipped directly to the B&F

Four flights of six bottles, two flights from the 2017 vintage and two from the 2018 vintage

Each flight compromising five young Turks - producers we rarely see as VP, bottling LBV with driven corks - and one reference bottle, a major well known brand, which may or may not be T stoppered.

The young Turks to be served fully sighted, the reference bottle blind, to see how many can guess it correctly.

After each flight attendees are asked to identify and retain the two glasses they found most impressive, which may or may not include the reference bottle, and either down or dump the remaining four.

From the final eight retained glasses, they are then asked to identify their six favourites, scoring from one to six.

Slightly different arrangements to our normal routine for placemats and scoring, I'm thinking I'll probably print each attendee a set of stickers they can put on the placemats to remind them of their retained glasses.

People:
  1. Tom A.;
  2. Martin C.;
  3. Charles R.;
  4. Rich N.;
  5. Mike M.;
  6. Zak R.;
  7. Ian J.;
  8. Julian W.;
  9. Ben P.;
  10. Luke P..
Reserves: Current draft of the placemats.
Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by uncle tom on 05:24 Thu 07 Mar 2024, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
User avatar
mcoulson
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 326
Joined: 18:27 Wed 02 Nov 2022
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by mcoulson »

May I have a seat at this event please.....

Cheers

Martin
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1997
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by winesecretary »

Oh that sounds fun. Yes please, subject to court commitments.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 808
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by CPR 1 »

Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

User avatar
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 621
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by rich_n »

Yes please! I have plenty of younger LBV but would be keen to try other producers.
User avatar
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 621
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by rich_n »

CPR 1 wrote:Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I would tend to agree with this suggestion
User avatar
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977
Posts: 4181
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by flash_uk »

Count me in, Tom. Many thanks.
M.Charlton
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 205
Joined: 16:40 Sat 23 Jun 2018

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by M.Charlton »

Yes please.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 545
Joined: 21:42 Tue 13 Nov 2018
Location: Three Bridges

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by akzy »

Sounds fun - yes please!
idj123
Morgan 1991
Posts: 1152
Joined: 20:54 Tue 13 Nov 2012

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by idj123 »

Yes please Tom.
User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851
Posts: 23875
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by jdaw1 »

Yes please.
User avatar
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3534
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by uncle tom »

Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?
So maybe ditch the 2019 vintage and go for flights of eight?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
BRPetrie
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 81
Joined: 17:27 Tue 30 Aug 2022
Location: London

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by BRPetrie »

Yes please!
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 808
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by CPR 1 »

uncle tom wrote: 04:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?
So maybe ditch the 2019 vintage and go for flights of eight?
I am most interested in trying different producers - thus I would suggest restricting it to just the 17 and 18 vintages but with 10 'new' producers?

This might also make it easier to select producers as I am not sure that many producers have 4 vintages of LBV on sale at the same time
User avatar
nac
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1915
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by nac »

Yes please.
User avatar
nac
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1915
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by nac »

winesecretary wrote: 09:44 Mon 08 Jan 2024 Oh that sounds fun. Yes please, subject to court commitments.
Oh dear. Have you been a bad boy again?
User avatar
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3534
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by uncle tom »

CPR 1 wrote: 11:35 Tue 09 Jan 2024
uncle tom wrote: 04:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?
So maybe ditch the 2019 vintage and go for flights of eight?
I am most interested in trying different producers - thus I would suggest restricting it to just the 17 and 18 vintages but with 10 'new' producers?

This might also make it easier to select producers as I am not sure that many producers have 4 vintages of LBV on sale at the same time
I wasn't planning to make each flight have the same producers, just the same vintage. As you say, getting multiple vintages with LBV is really difficult unless you plan for years ahead.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
User avatar
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15074
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm interested in attending, but obviously subject to being around on the chosen date.

I think I'm number 13 on the list...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 808
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by CPR 1 »

uncle tom wrote: 14:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
CPR 1 wrote: 11:35 Tue 09 Jan 2024
uncle tom wrote: 04:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?
So maybe ditch the 2019 vintage and go for flights of eight?
I am most interested in trying different producers - thus I would suggest restricting it to just the 17 and 18 vintages but with 10 'new' producers?

This might also make it easier to select producers as I am not sure that many producers have 4 vintages of LBV on sale at the same time
I wasn't planning to make each flight have the same producers, just the same vintage. As you say, getting multiple vintages with LBV is really difficult unless you plan for years ahead.
Ahhh I had mis understood the original plan - I would still suggest reducing the vintages to just 2 to reduce the other variables and focus on 2017 and 2018
User avatar
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3534
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by uncle tom »

CPR 1 wrote: 21:38 Tue 09 Jan 2024
uncle tom wrote: 14:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
CPR 1 wrote: 11:35 Tue 09 Jan 2024
uncle tom wrote: 04:23 Tue 09 Jan 2024
Yes please, although I might suggest smaller range of years and more producers?
So maybe ditch the 2019 vintage and go for flights of eight?
I am most interested in trying different producers - thus I would suggest restricting it to just the 17 and 18 vintages but with 10 'new' producers?

This might also make it easier to select producers as I am not sure that many producers have 4 vintages of LBV on sale at the same time
I wasn't planning to make each flight have the same producers, just the same vintage. As you say, getting multiple vintages with LBV is really difficult unless you plan for years ahead.
Ahhh I had mis understood the original plan - I would still suggest reducing the vintages to just 2 to reduce the other variables and focus on 2017 and 2018
As the number of 16s is starting to dwindle, getting a flight of eight together come the spring may be tricky. Will look at two flights of six 17s and two flights of 18s
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
User avatar
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3534
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by uncle tom »

Need to set a date for this. Trying to avoid school hols, bank holiday weeks and other events, how does Thursday April 25th suit people?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
User avatar
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 621
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by rich_n »

That's the Thursday after the BFT, which a number of us might be volunteering at. I'm open to doing that evening but just wanted to mention it in case it causes any issue.
User avatar
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15074
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My diary is pretty full late April / early May.

Pop me on the reserves list for 25th April, just in case I can make it nearer the time.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
User avatar
mcoulson
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 326
Joined: 18:27 Wed 02 Nov 2022
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by mcoulson »

rich_n wrote: 10:41 Tue 23 Jan 2024 That's the Thursday after the BFT, which a number of us might be volunteering at. I'm open to doing that evening but just wanted to mention it in case it causes any issue.
This is true but Im available for the 25th
M.Charlton
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 205
Joined: 16:40 Sat 23 Jun 2018

Re: LBV - The Young Turks

Post by M.Charlton »

I’m afraid I’m also busy in the last week of April, so please could I be put onto the reserves in case I can get my hearings schedule thinned down.
Post Reply