Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Post by Glenn E. »

There are various other threads looking for dates for particular themes... this one is to find a theme for a particular date.

I will be in NYC for a few days surrounding the 27th of February, 2009, and would like to participate in a Port tasting. The Graham's vertical and 1977 horizontal both involve substantial amounts of JDAW's Port, so probably wouldn't be appropriate for this date as that's during the time frame that he is expected to become even more frustrated that the Port trade rarely declares vintages ending in '9'.

So... suggestions?

Drink your age?
Port needn't be red?
Glenn Elliott
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Re: Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Post by jfacciol »

This is too close to the proposed Feb 13 tasting for me (and my liver). So I am going to pass.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Sorry, I’ll be dry starting a week before and ending on a date as-yet-unknown. And if the baby comes early, it’ll be too wee for me to have a licence to play.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Rather than a full-on tasting, have you considered just a drinking? I.e. going out to a decent restaurant with a couple of nice bottles?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:Rather than a full-on tasting, have you considered just a drinking? I.e. going out to a decent restaurant with a couple of nice bottles?
if you want to add some dry reds to the mix, I could put up an interesting tasting ...
followed by some port.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm fine with a drinking, especially if there are only going to be a few of us.

I don't drink wine, though, so that's up to the rest of you. I drink Port with dinner... I figure I'm such a lightweight that I shouldn't waste precious alcohol tolerance on mere wine!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:I'm fine with a drinking, especially if there are only going to be a few of us.

I don't drink wine, though, so that's up to the rest of you. I drink Port with dinner... I figure I'm such a lightweight that I shouldn't waste precious alcohol tolerance on mere wine!
we can have that tawny tasting at this time that I wanted to have end of december until my exams got in the way.

What say you?

20 year tawny tasting?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

A tawny tasting would be most excellent. 88) I generally prefer tawnies to rubies anyway.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote: we can have that tawny tasting at this time that I wanted to have end of december until my exams got in the way.
20 year tawny tasting?
Oh right! The tawny tasting! I have a bottle waiting for that :)
JoshDrinksPort
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Tickets purchased! We are arriving on Wednesday evening and flying back to Seattle on Sunday afternoon.

The only time that's fully scheduled is Saturday evening, which is when my wife will be competing in the crossword puzzle tournament. I'll be there to provide support, so unless you all want to come to the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott to pass the evening, we should plan something else. :wink:

Previous discussions indicated that Friday the 27th would be most suitable, and the last suggestion was that we have a 20-yr old Tawny tasting. Or, if there is a lack of attendees, we could just have a nice dinner with some good wine and Port.

I would be perfectly happy with another trip to Nick & Steph's, if that could be arranged, but I am also open to a new venue!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

So right now, it sounds like this is only going to be g-man, SushiNorth, and myself.

If it's just the 3 of us, we should find a good restaurant and bring in a bottle (or two... or three...) to have with dinner. I'd be perfectly happy with Nick & Steph's again, if that suits the two of you also. I don't think that the 3 of us could do justice to a 20-yr Old Tawny tasting, do you?

Anyone else care to join us?
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm going to make reservations for this at some sort of suitable site next week, probably Nick & Stef's unless someone protests, so I would appreciate confirmation from those attending.

Julian you are welcome even if dry. I'm quite certain that the restaurant would forgive us for shrinking our reservation if you were unable to attend at the last moment. But it is also understandable if your other responsibilities will not allow you to join us.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Let me ask around, I have a few friends that would join us for a dinner.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Any word from your friends yet, g-man?
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

waiting for people to come back from skiing!

i think at most I'd be + 2 ..
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I bet my little brother would like to come. He brought back the first bottle of the 20yr i'm bringing (and we drank it years ago), it might only be fitting if he was there when I open this one :)

Confirmed, I am +1 :)
That brings the total to 5-6... that's enough if we plan for a gentle evening and a few bottles of tawny :)
JoshDrinksPort
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

In that case I will make a reservation for 6 at Nick & Stef's. I'll inform them that we plan to bring in 3-ish bottles of Port to accompany our dinner, and ask if we can get corkage waived since we've been there before. We may need to purchase another bottle on site like we did at the Old & Odd, but somehow I don't think that would bother anyone. :wink:

My current 20-yr old Tawny inventory contains only Ramos Pinto and Taylor Fladgate. I'll also have a day or two to shop in NYC before the 27th, so could pick up something else in town as well. Do either of those sound particularly intriguing to anyone, or shall I just plan to get something in NYC?
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

ask for alex or Jen when you make the reservation

Alex was the guy when we did the old and odd,
and jen was happy to accomodate the "If you buy something off of our list, we'll wave the bottle" charge.

btw I'm +2
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:In that case I will make a reservation for 6 at Nick & Stef's. I'll inform them that we plan to bring in 3-ish bottles of Port to accompany our dinner, and ask if we can get corkage waived since we've been there before. We may need to purchase another bottle on site like we did at the Old & Odd, but somehow I don't think that would bother anyone. :wink:

My current 20-yr old Tawny inventory contains only Ramos Pinto and Taylor Fladgate. I'll also have a day or two to shop in NYC before the 27th, so could pick up something else in town as well. Do either of those sound particularly intriguing to anyone, or shall I just plan to get something in NYC?
I think they have a taylor 20, I'm not sure, so we may not be able to bring one, I'm curious to try a Sandeman tho and will probably contribute that to the tasting if i can find a bottle. (I haven't seen it in NY very often)
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Glenn E. wrote:In that case I will make a reservation for 6 at Nick & Stef's. I'll inform them that we plan to bring in 3-ish bottles of Port to accompany our dinner, and ask if we can get corkage waived since we've been there before. We may need to purchase another bottle on site like we did at the Old & Odd, but somehow I don't think that would bother anyone. :wink:
Before we launch to Nick & Stefs, what about Didier's La Sirene? $0 corkage...
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

that's a nice little place too... but we'd probably be hurried out like last time.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:that's a nice little place too... but we'd probably be hurried out like last time.
Yeah, on a friday night it's probably too small to accomodate us taking over 6 seats for the night.
JoshDrinksPort
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

If Nick & Stef's has a Taylor available, I can buy that bottle as my contribution and simultaneously cover our corkage. The Taylor 20 is nice, so it's a worth bottle to have in the mix.

But I'm fine with any location... the only reason I selected Nick & Stef's is that I'm in Seattle and that's the only NYC restaurant that I know of that will host this unruly lot for a meal and drinking. :lol:

If the collective wishes to go somewhere else, my only request is that someone else take over making the reservations. :chef: I'll eat just about anything, but would prefer someplace that at least has meat as an option. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

past experience have shown the taylor 20 yr tawny to be priced at roughly 200$/bottle at a restaurant.

I'd prefer you paying corkage if so =) ...

I'm fine with nick and stef. .. but since you're the one traveling glenn,
would you like to try another steakhouse?

I can give a ring to a few of the other NY staples and ask.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:I can give a ring to a few of the other NY staples and ask.
So I went to check out one of my fav's, Keen's, and saw this...
Thursday, March 26, 7:00 p.m.
A Reprise: Finest Ports & Artisanal Chocolates ($85)
In the spring of 2007, we held the inaugural tasting of Port & Chocolate to rave reviews. These two sensory delights match up as gracefully and deliciously as any wine and food pairing we have experienced. This second tasting session will further enhance this decadent coupling.
JoshDrinksPort