Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Post by Glenn E. »

PM received, reply sent. :)

I'm really excited... unduly so, since we're just opening a bunch of 20-yr old tawnies! It's going to be a fun trip for both of us. We're not taking in any shows this time, but there's the whole crossword puzzle tournament thing going on to keep us preoccupied. :wink:

I've made a list of a few wine stores in the area that I need to check out... one of them has a bottle listed that I want to pick up if it's actually listed correctly. I called, though, and they couldn't find it so I figured I'd just drop by and take a look myself!

See you on Friday!
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

3 twenty-year tawnies, standing and ready. The Costa de Baixo actually shows signs of sediment caked to the bottle neck. These don't need decanting, right? We just pop and pour?

Cockburn and Graham were bottled in 2007, the Costa de Baixo was bottled in 2003.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

They don't normally need decanting, but it's not unheard of for an old tawny to develop a little bit of sediment. I have some 1994 Delaforce Colheitas that were bottled in 2002, and they have actually thrown quite a bit of sediment.

So no, probably no need to decant, but I'd try to keep the bottle upright and steady to avoid stirring things up unnecessarily if it looks like it might have developed some sediment.
Glenn Elliott
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Hello.

Please add me in as 1 person. Let me know whether I should simply bring a bottle of my choice or simply chip in. I was trying to figure it out from the previous posts which works best for you.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

And if you want placemats please post, in one place, a list of who and what and when and where.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

John, I'd say go ahead and grab a 20-yr old tawny (the theme of the tasting). We currently have 4 bottles and 8 people, but I don't know how much the non- :tpf: guests will drink.

Right now we have a Cockburn, a Graham, and a Costa de Baixo as our 20-yr olds. G-man is also bringing a 1980 Fonseca.

We'd previously ruled out the bigger names - in particular Taylor's - because we didn't want to bring something that the restaurant sells. G-man also made the reservation for us, so he might be able to give you an idea of what else they have so you can avoid it.

Julian - we're being informal for this one, so no placemats needed. Thanks for the offer, though!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Fair warning on the corkage fee, as the non :tpf: member is bringing a bottle of dry red too.
I already made the reservation with 1 extra person just in case so we're fine with people.

it'll be 5 bottles for 8 people and since I've got class at 8am .. I know I'm not going to be consuming my usual share.

I was thinking about picking up another dry red off the list for a few of my friends that don't drink port exclusively =)

John, if you decide to chip in the total cost of the port amongst the 4 of us would be 32$ which goes to Josh.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:it'll be 5 bottles for 8 people and since I've got class at 8am .. I know I'm not going to be consuming my usual share.
Oh come on, Jeff, it's practically customary to show up for class on Saturday morning with a hangover!!! :nirvana: :mrgreen:

In that case I'd say just plan to chip in, John, and not worry about picking up a bottle. 3x 20-yr tawnies plus a 1980 Fonseca should be plenty to satiate us along with some great steaks. (And the dry red wine for those of you who consume that kind of stuff! :wink: )

5 bottles for 8 people doesn't sound like much compared to a full-blown tasting, but I'd really like to be able to navigate the subway system on my own to get back to the hotel afterwards. :lol: After a full-blown tasting I need someone to prop me up, which makes the subway significantly less than optimal. :oops:
Glenn Elliott
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Thanks. Like Jeff, I have a class on Sat AM so I won't be as bibulous as normal. I look forward to seeing y'all!!!! :chef:
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
g-man wrote:it'll be 5 bottles for 8 people and since I've got class at 8am .. I know I'm not going to be consuming my usual share.
Oh come on, Jeff, it's practically customary to show up for class on Saturday morning with a hangover!!! :nirvana: :mrgreen:

I'll remember that when i head out to seattle =)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

We have arrived safely in NYC and are checked in at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. See you guys on Friday!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

good to hear, see you friday!
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Glad you made it safely to NYC. Which Uncle Jacks are we reserved at? The one in the 30s or the 50s?
John in NYC

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

JohninNYC wrote:Glad you made it safely to NYC. Which Uncle Jacks are we reserved at? The one in the 30s or the 50s?
The one in the 50's I believe
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:
JohninNYC wrote:Glad you made it safely to NYC. Which Uncle Jacks are we reserved at? The one in the 30s or the 50s?
The one in the 50's I believe
yes sir
see u guys tomorrow
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Walked by there today... it's on 56th, though off the top of my head I don't remember the cross streets.

Turns out that First Ave Wine & Spirits has a really nice fine wine section. I'd have bought a number of bottles if I didn't have to fly them home. The $130 listing for the 1997 Noval VP was not a mistake... but sadly they were out and can't get more.

I did pick up a half bottle of 1985 Royal Oporto VP for the fun of it because it was only $30. They also had a decent selection of mid-90s Ports, but not much older. A 1977 or two, but that was about it.

1994 Ferreira VP for $40...
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

nice
http://www.americaswineshop.com/index

they have a very decent selection and sometimes incredible prices.

First Ave Wine & Spirits had a steal of a fonseca 92 i believe for like 70$

and yes.. 56th between 6th and 5th aves.

fonseca 80 decanted.

this is by far the best fonseca 80 I've seen to date. Perfect bottle, cork.
Darker by far then the others I've opened.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Have fun guys. Let us know what you think of the ports but also of the restaurant. I tried that Uncle Jack's last time I was in New York and I found their service apalling and their steaks very peppery - but I could have been there on a bad day.

And if you have a laptop with a webcam then let me know.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:Have fun guys. Let us know what you think of the ports but also of the restaurant. I tried that Uncle Jack's last time I was in New York and I found their service apalling and their steaks very peppery - but I could have been there on a bad day.

And if you have a laptop with a webcam then let me know.

Alex
this is the new one that just opened, I've never been for a proper meal.

the 34th street one is disappointing.

the one in queens tho is fantastic. Incredibly attentive and fantastic.