Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Post by g-man »

Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So who is attending and will you be available on Skype and / or webcam? If so, I'll go and get my webcam set up! That way I can join you on a virtual basis with my Warre 1995 LBV :)

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:So who is attending and will you be available on Skype and / or webcam? If so, I'll go and get my webcam set up! That way I can join you on a virtual basis with my Warre 1995 LBV :)

Alex
Ah,
there will be SushiNorth, Glenn E, JohninNYC, your's truly (apostrophe crime?), the wife, my college roommate and a possible new joiner DoubleD.

I don't know about the other guys with laptops but we'll get em to take pictures =)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

No placemats by request.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

great time to be had
and they were generous enuf to charge us for only 2 bottles corkage for our 6 we brought.

Steak was great and the company better.

Thanks to everyone for coming.

The fonseca 80 was my clear winner and by far the best bottle of a 80 i've ever had.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

The fonseca 80 was my clear winner and by far the best bottle of a 80 i've ever had.
Does not sound like a well spend night to me as I had the F80 always last place in the 1980s.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Axel P wrote:
Does not sound like a well spend night to me as I had the F80 always last place in the 1980s.

Axel
yes , let me correct.

that this f80 was by far the best bottle of F80 I've ever had.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I had a great time. Thanks everyone for humoring me during my trip to support my wife's crossword puzzle endeavors. :wink:

Uncle Jack's was a fine restaurant. They weren't packed, but they were busy enough. I thought the service was quite good, and as Jeff said they only charged us corkage x2 instead of the originally agreed upon 1/2 corkage x6. The steaks were good, but not great. I'm fairly tolerant regarding steaks, but I do have a clear preference for well aged Nebraska corn-fed beef. These steaks were 21-28 day dry aged, which just isn't quite enough for me but is still respectably good. Nick & Stef's at MSG clearly serves better steaks (at least to me), but it's also more expensive. I guess it's a case of "you get what you pay for."

In looking back at my notes (to be posted soon), I don't really have a clear winner. The Fonseca '80 was probably the best all-around Port for the evening, but I didn't like the way it paired with the food. During tasting, the Graham's 20-yr was the clear winner, but once paired with food the Cockburn's 20-yr really stood out. The Costa de Baixo was good, but never tops. It seemed a tad weak - diffuse, as opposed to concentrated, was the word suggested by Dominic - but was still quite pleasant to drink.

I'm sitting here with leftover Cockburn's 20-yr, and it's showing better to me now than it did last night. I suspect that's a side effect not of the air time, but of the Calvados with which I started the evening last night. All of the 20-yr olds were weaker than I expected last night, and the apple brandy is probably the culprit. Tonight the Cockburn's seems to have a more classic profile than it did last night, though it still seems thin compared to my normal drinkers (Ramos Pinto and an occasional Taylor's).

I can't actually post my TNs until I return to Seattle because they're stored on my phone... which is currently providing me with an internet connection. I'll get them up on Monday, hopefully.
Glenn Elliott