Off Alcohol

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Off Alcohol

Post by Axel P »

As every year I am currently 4 weeks without a single glass of port. At first it is very bad, but then it even gets worse. :P

I am not kidding, but strongly believe to do something good for my health when doing this. As the liver is an organ which very well rebuilds itself, it will either need a certain period of time (my doc told me that would be 3-4 weeks) or you have to drink 3 days per week and have 4 days off.

As Roy just published the "Wine in moderation"-programme, I do think that this exellently contributes to this campagne.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Michael H
Cruz Ruby

Re: Off Alcohol

Post by Michael H »

Axel: If you don't mind, can you provide some more information about this? I surmise your doctor has said rather than limit your alcohol consumption to 3 or 4 days per week on an on-going basis you can substitute daily alcohol consumption punctuated by a 3-4 week period of abstinence during which your liver recovers and rebuilds itself? Is that an accurate restatement of what you have written above? I have an honest interest in this question. I have read some of the current information about "Wine in Moderation" and am a little uncertain how to take it. The guidelines seem to be rather confining.
DrDirk
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by DrDirk »

Hi Axel,

I am also not drinking any alcohol since the first week of january after heavy consumption of port and other spirits with Wolfgang (WS1), e.g. taking a New Years day walk with a bottle of Croft da Roeda 1980 as provision and so on (We took even port glasses with us :D ). I will be without alcohol until mid febuary. So it will be 5 weeks this year.
It is always something which has to be done.
Blue Stilton and Port - what else!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

DrDirk wrote:It is always something which has to be done.
I guess so, too, but you certainly will stop latest Feb 12th I hope?

Axel
Michael H, wrote:Axel: If you don't mind, can you provide some more information about this? I surmise your doctor has said rather than limit your alcohol consumption to 3 or 4 days per week on an on-going basis you can substitute daily alcohol consumption punctuated by a 3-4 week period of abstinence during which your liver recovers and rebuilds itself? Is that an accurate restatement of what you have written above? I have an honest interest in this question. I have read some of the current information about "Wine in Moderation" and am a little uncertain how to take it. The guidelines seem to be rather confining.
#

Michael, my doc said that the liver is an organ which has the ability to restructure damaged cells perfectly. You only have to give her time to do this. To be in some kind of "safer" stadium (the best is to drink nothing at all) would be to have either a full period without alcohol per year, i.e. some (4) consecutive weeks or if for whatever reason not manageable to drink (moderately) 3 consecutive days per week and have 4 days off. Since I do not have further knowledge with this, maybe we should consult anyone in the forum who deals with medicine professionally.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

DrDirk,

huch, I thought you want to finish your Baby Stilton first before doing this. It is lovely! Cookie is already done with his. So a new record for you to break :lol:
But anyway see what this alcohol free period is doing to you. Out of a half bt of Croft da Roeda 1980 we took on the walk just becomes a full bt. And out of moderate wine, champagne and Port consumption becomes heavy port and spirits consumption. :shock: :lol:
I am not so sure if I will follow suit since I need to keep my sense for reality :wink:
Sad that you cannot make the 12th of February.

Enjoy your idealistic time off

regards a realistic

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Michael H
Cruz Ruby

Post by Michael H »

Axel: Is this a moderately common practice among Germans? If I were to abstain from alcohol for a block of time, I think I would choose summer time. For me, winter months are a time of more robust eating, and for me drinking wine goes with eating good and abundant food. Also, I live in Texas where it is very hot in the summer time. I have less appetite for alcohol when it is over 105 degrees Fahrenheit outside! (maybe about 40 degrees Celsius?)
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Michael,
as I am a German too, I should be permitted to point out a different traditional approach.
Michael H, wrote: Is this a moderately common practice among Germans?
No, not at all. There are many following the english etymological approach. Liver an delivery do have the same radical. So it should be evident that this organ needs a certain "supply" to maintain its assignment. On the other hand, it's a good feeling havig control. So the conclusion is that Axel is doing right.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port