The Symingtons in London, 14th November 2010

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The Symingtons in London, 14th November 2010

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=10255]Here on :ftlop:[/url] Andy Velebil, in turn quoting from [url=http://www.amiando.com/finewineencounter2010.html]www.amiando.com/finewineencounter2010.html[/url], wrote:Paul and Johnny Symington will be presenting a great line up of their VP's in London on November 14. This is part of the Decanter magazines "Fine Wine Encounter."

Here's the line up...

Graham’s, Dow’s and Warre’s 2007
Dow’s 2000
Warre’s 1997
Graham’s 1994
Dow‘s 1980
Graham’s 1970
Dow’s 1966
Graham’s 1963
Warre’s 1960
Graham’s 1955
Half a Century of Superlative Port
£75
Landmark Hotel, London NW1
14 November 2010

Speakers: Paul Symington & Johnny Symington

Very few producers can claim a heritage like the Symingtons in making the world’s greatest Ports. With a history spanning five centuries, this family-owned and run business receives consistently high scores from the world’s top critics. In this masterclass Paul Symington and his cousin Johnny, will present a line-up of rare vintage Ports, including Dow’s 1966, Graham’s 1963 and Warre’s 1960, of which there are only a few cases left. The tasting will conclude with the exceptionally rare Graham’s 1955. A tasting on this scale is unlikely ever to be repeated due to the scarcity of the wines.
http://www.amiando.com/finewineencounter2010.html

I wish I was in London to attend this as I'm sure it will be a tasting not to forget!

Of course, ‟A tasting on this scale is unlikely ever to be repeated due to the scarcity of the wines” needs the qualification ‟except on :tpf:”.
Deleted_User_1

Re: The Symingtons in London, 14th November 2010

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Sadly I will have to miss this as I am on hoilday. :crying: :crying:
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Is anyone else from :tpf: planing on attending? I wonder if an after-tasting might be a possibility since the Decanter tasting is at 4...

(P.S. Does anyone else think it might not be in the best taste to arrange a vintage champagne tasting at 11 in the morning on Remembrance Sunday?)
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'll be there, but plan to try and work my way through tasting the ports and other fortified wines on show at the fair before attending the Masterclass tasting. If you're also going to be there then nearer the time we can arrange to meet up.

And, in my opinion, there's never a bad time to drink vintage Champagne. Provided it is tastefully recognised that the only reason we are still able to do so is because of the sacrifice given by many, we can and should celebrate what their sacrifice achieved. But that is purely my personal opinion.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.