Roussillon Fortifieds

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Roussillon Fortifieds

Post by JacobH »

I’ve recently found myself drinking more fortified wines from Roussillon and was wondering whether others on :tpf: enjoy them? I am currently sipping my way through a 1985 Rivesaltes from Arnaud de Villeneuve. Waitrose is selling for about £13.50 for a 50cl bottle which makes me think that these vin doux naturel probably offer one of the highest quality to price ratios I’ve seen in a non-discounted supermarket wine. It knocks the socks off things like the 10-year-old Warre Otima which would sell for about the same price; you’d probably have to pay for a 20-year-old tawny to get a wine of equivalent quality.

The main problem with these wines, though, is that it is almost impossible to buy them in the UK. Berry’s sells three: a Banyuls and two Rivesaltes. The 1985 Arnaud de Villeneuve is the only vin doux naturel I’ve seen in a UK supermarket and most wine merchants don’t stock them at all. It’s a great shame because so many are very good and enjoyable. In addition to the aged Rivesaltes which are rather like a less-sweet tawny Port, I also enjoy the occasional basic Banyuls or Maury which are similar to ruby Ports but made with Grenache Noir so have a softer, more approachable flavour.

The other big problem with the wines of Roussillon is the dizzying quantity of appellations and styles within them. It’s probably as bad a sherry, with red and white wines, some oxidised, others not. However, as most seem not to be available, it is rather academic. Though I imagine a few weeks in the region, accompanied by a Catalonian tee-total driver would be a nice way of sorting them out in your mind...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Roussillon Fortifieds

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:a Catalonian tee-total driver
Does that have the same meaning as the equivalent in the Douro? If so, wear a seat-belt and hold a strong-walled inflated balloon in front of your face at all times :shock: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:a Catalonian tee-total driver
Does that have the same meaning as the equivalent in the Douro? If so, wear a seat-belt and hold a strong-walled inflated balloon in front of your face at all times :shock: :lol:
Thankfully, I think the Rivesaltes region is basically flat. Around Maury and Banyuls, the same probably applies, though :shock:
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Hmmm...will get hold of one this week to give a try sometime. Have you tried the fortified pomegranate wine from waitrose yet...? I must admit a soft spot for the very sticky/sweet Australian tawny they stock there, but that's a real guilty pleasure (almost like Golden Syrup straight from the tin...)
Rob C.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

Curently sipping away on Croix Milhas Rivesaltes Ambre no date but aged in oak for 3 years. Tesco is doing half bottles for £4.49. Lots of spice and citrus, quite nice for a change and compares well with tawnys I have tried(Warres Optima and a couple of own brands) may buy a few more but wo'nt bother with any panic buying.
Martin
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

RAYC wrote:Hmmm...will get hold of one this week to give a try sometime. Have you tried the fortified pomegranate wine from waitrose yet...? I must admit a soft spot for the very sticky/sweet Australian tawny they stock there, but that's a real guilty pleasure (almost like Golden Syrup straight from the tin...)
No, I haven’t, but when I was drinking some undiluted pomegranate juice a couple of weeks ago, I did think it would make excellent fortified wine: very fruity; lots of sugar; and loads of tannin.
mpij wrote:Curently sipping away on Croix Milhas Rivesaltes Ambre no date but aged in oak for 3 years. Tesco is doing half bottles for £4.49. Lots of spice and citrus, quite nice for a change and compares well with tawnys I have tried(Warres Optima and a couple of own brands) may buy a few more but wo'nt bother with any panic buying.
I haven’t tried that one, yet. Their non-vintage Maury is also pretty good at about the same price for a half-bottle.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I'm holding onto a 1946 Rivesaltes for later this year.

I've had a few and found the acidity to be distinctive amongst other fortified wines barring madeiras.

They do offer a nice contrast for sure.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz