Health tips for middle-aged men

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Health tips for middle-aged men

Post by DRT »

JDAW and I spent a very productive few hours this evening debating various aspects of what makes for a healthy lifestyle. In the interest of sharing collective wisdom with others here I offer up the following key guidelines (facts?) which fellow :tpf: members might want to consider in their general approach to food, drink and health:

1. It is always a good idea to follow a strict low-carb diet. An excellent example being to not have brown sauce on a bacon sandwich.

2. Where two port-lovers find themselves working within a few hundred yards of one another on weekdays for six months it is essential that they have no more than four drinking sessions together per week.

3. Never, and I mean NEVER, eat your own vegetables and then eat the vegetables left by your chum. Life-threatening hiccups are the only certain outcome of such insane behaviour. You have been warned!

4. If you must drink alcohol, be sure to drink it with approximately 94-95% water. Doing this ensures that (a) it is more or less alcohol free; (b) it is completely carbohydrate free and, (c) you will be able to sustain a coherent intellectual conversation all evening.

Please feel free to add other pearls of wisdom in this thread!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Health tips for middle-aged men

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:3. Never, and I mean NEVER, eat your own vegetables and then eat the vegetables left by your chum. Life-threatening hiccups are the only certain outcome of such insane behaviour. You have been warned!
Who needed help finishing their chips then?!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Crispy pancake duck: I needed more of the onion and cucumber, so stole Derek’s. Then had hiccups.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Crispy pancake duck: I needed more of the onion and cucumber, so stole Derek’s. Then had hiccups.
Which proves beyon doubt that all of the above is true.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Crispy pancake duck: I needed more of the onion and cucumber, so stole Derek’s. Then had hiccups.
Which proves beyon doubt that all of the above is true.
Be thankful he didn't steal your Port too :lol:
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

I have a theory that as port is fortified before fermentation is complete(and therefore retains much of the natural grape juice) that it counts towards 5 a day fruit and veg!!!
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

And as I said to my parents yesterday "that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 23:51 Tue 10 Apr 2012Where two port-lovers find themselves working within a few hundred yards of one another on weekdays for six months it is essential that they have no more than four drinking sessions together per week.
Does that include weekends?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: 11:43 Sun 16 Dec 2018
DRT wrote: 23:51 Tue 10 Apr 2012Where two port-lovers find themselves working within a few hundred yards of one another on weekdays for six months it is essential that they have no more than four drinking sessions together per week.
Does that include weekends?
No.
Ernest H. Cockburn