It's just not cricket

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: It's just not cricket

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:England won. Cook's captaincy was supreme. Derek, sometimes you just want something to complain about. Bad luck. Cook was invaluable in the field - several absolutely stunning catches not to mention the actual field setting. You remind me of a carp when you are carping.
And you remind me of Jimmy Hill when England are winning. One test does not make a summer.

A time will come soon when Bell and Cook will need to perform with bat in hand and on the evidence of the last four days they might be found wanting. That is all.

I agree with Owen that both sides contributed to England's victory - a victory that was well deserved.
I'm not saying they won the Ashes. I just think you're churlish to look so hard for the flaws. Two of Cook's catches alone were each worth 20+ runs.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I fear that with two losses and only the one win that Scotland are going to struggle to qualify for the ICC Twenty20 World Cup later this year.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:I fear that with two losses and only the one win that Scotland are going to struggle to qualify for the ICC Twenty20 World Cup later this year.
I saw this report too on the Beeb and thought of asking for a quote from our Scottish sports correspondent, but he seems to have rather forsaken the team of his nation for the Sassenachs. I bet he hasn't even got a sporran.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:
AHB wrote:I fear that with two losses and only the one win that Scotland are going to struggle to qualify for the ICC Twenty20 World Cup later this year.
I saw this report too on the Beeb and thought of asking for a quote from our Scottish sports correspondent, but he seems to have rather forsaken the team of his nation for the Sassenachs.
Quite frankly, I can understand why. It must be a little embarrassing that your national team only qualifies to play cricket in England as a minor county alongside Berkshire and Cornwall - only slightly less successfully.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
I saw this report too on the Beeb and thought of asking for a quote from our Scottish sports correspondent, but he seems to have rather forsaken the team of his nation for the Sassenachs.
Quite frankly, I can understand why. It must be a little embarrassing that your national team only qualifies to play cricket in England as a minor county alongside Berkshire and Cornwall - only slightly less successfully.
Embarrassing? No, just a reality. But then we are not allowed to mention realities here otherwise we might upset Jimmy Daniel :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Now then...
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
Minor counties hold many pleasures for the conoisseur, one of the pleasures of the summer is hiring a deck chair for a pound at Sidmouth and watching Devon play. Cider is available and there is an excellent croquet lawn behind. They might not be a pound anymore.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

LGTrotter wrote:Cider is available and there is an excellent croquet lawn behind.
According to the BBC you may struggle to find anyone who knows how to play; though with enough cider, you may not care.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I know how to play! Shall we have a new thread, "it's just not croquet?"
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:I know how to play! Shall we have a new thread, "it's just not croquet?"
Only if we merge it with the thread "it's just not punny?"
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Veering back momentarily to the cricket, I see they've dropped Haddin and will have a novice keeping wicket. The heavy, humid conditions in London at present surely favour us as well. I feel calm and confident.

Derek, any predictions, since your barometer is so finely calibrated at present?
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:Veering back momentarily to the cricket, I see they've dropped Haddin and will have a novice keeping wicket. The heavy, humid conditions in London at present surely favour us as well. I feel calm and confident.

Derek, any predictions, since your barometer is so finely calibrated at present?
Winning the toss will as ever play a part...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I see Moeen is a doubtful for the next test. I think the bearded Gower will be missed, but on the other hand I am most interested to see how Rashid does, if as expected he gets a go. Cook has not been good at using new bowlers and I fear that Rashid may not get used much even if he is picked.

Haddin and Watson leaving the Australian side will not be a disaster for them, but I know nothing of the proposed replacements.

I still think Lords will favour the Australians but I understand a dryish, softish pitch has been made which might be good for spin later, the toss may indeed prove significant. On the other hand Lords has always been a difficult pitch to bowl on because of the slope and the Australians did not look like a disciplined bowling attack at Cardiff.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Derek, any predictions, since your barometer is so finely calibrated at present?
I think that the team that wins the toss will win the Test. They could all save themselves a lot of time by listening to my prediction.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

That might hurt the Lord's coffers on lost sales of fizz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Derek, any predictions, since your barometer is so finely calibrated at present?
I think that the team that wins the toss will win the Test. They could all save themselves a lot of time by listening to my prediction.
That is not such a bad prediction. I might refine it by saying whoever bats first will win.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:
That is not such a bad prediction. I might refine it by saying whoever bats first will win.
Indeed - I hadn't considered either of them winning the toss and making the wrong decision :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Australia have fulfilled both conditions having won the toss and elected to bat. If everybody could move towards the exit as Derek and I have saved us all 5 days.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

England will win and Derek'a losing streak will continue.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:England will win and Derek'a losing streak will continue.
Did you say that in an Italian accent?
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:England will win and Derek'a losing streak will continue.
Did you say that in an Italian accent?
Spanish Infanta.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Bell drops Smith on 50. Thank goodness he isn't the kind of batsman who goes on to score big centuries. :roll:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Daniel, I think PaddyPower are still giving good odds on an England win :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

There is a ridiculous amount of winking going on here. It's like a Monty Python sketch.
Daniel J.