1999 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1999 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon

Post by Andy Velebil »

A friend was graceous enough to open this for me and some others the other night at dinner. I've never had a Shafer before, and I can see what all the commontion is about. Gotta be one of the top Cab's I've had, just stunning. If you can get your hands on a bottle, which is not easy and about the same price as a current release Noval Nacional, its worth every penny.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Blood and sweat!!!

Andy,

thats some mate you have. They are just under $400 a bottle for the 2001. Thats an expensive couple of glasses.

I'll be glugging my Lindemans Chards later feeling quite inadequate!

Alan
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I had the 2000 at a resturant about a month ago, and can certainly vouch for the quality! I choose the wine based on the (ralatively) low price (lower than retail market) and have been looking for a deal on the retail version ever since. Very, very nice wine.

In general 2001 was a fantastic year for CA cabernet, which is typically not ready to drink yet without serious decanting time (for instance Pride, Neal).

I'll look forward to drinking the 2001 sometime at your house Andy :D

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

So long as your bringing it Jay...I'll clear my schedule :wink: :lol: :lol:
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had the 99 from Magnum last year and it is definitively not my type of wine. But I can see why some likes it, it is a style famous in Napa especially. For me it is just pushing it too much. If it was sweet, it could be port :wink:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1999 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon

Post by DRT »

ADV wrote:If you can get your hands on a bottle, which is not easy and about the same price as a current release Noval Nacional, its worth every penny.
Ignoring the apostrophie crime, I have to question the final statement in the above quote for two reasons. Firstly, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that Noval Nacional from any vintage represents value for money and secondly because, IMHO, a bottle of dry red v a bottle of VP at the same price can't really be considered equal on the VFM scale as is isn't really possible to share the enjoyment of a bottle of dry wine with nearly as many people as one could with a VP.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The more expensive a table wine is, the bigger the let down when it disappoints - and when treated by someone else, the harder it is to grimace..

Port can disappoint too of course - but less frequently. Rarely is a bottle undrinkable..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Forgive my poor typing, spelling, and puncuation skills :)

Yeah, I just can't see paying that kinda money for a dry wine. Now port on the other hand :twisted: