The Taylor 1985 Debate

Anything to do with Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1985 Fonseca

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:Owen & Glenn, you are of course correct. T85 is rubbish and not worthy of your ££. Let's leave it there.

JDAW (and others), let's buy it all up an laugh at those who thought the world was flat.
Sorry, I made an unforgivable omission in my previous post.

Let's but it ("it" being a 29 year old excellent VP that can be bought at the same price as current release unproven Taylor, Graham, Noval, or whatever) and laugh at those who thought the world was flat.
The world is flat as can be demonstrated by trying to stick water to a tennis ball.
The second part of your post I entirely agree with. From a bang for your buck point of view I am in a fog as to why people are buying 2011. I have been hearing the scarcity argument; this seems redundant given the apparently endless supply of good old ports which just keep coming. I may be wrong but there are few if any ports of the 21st century which cannot be bought now for roughly the same price they were offered at originally. Bring on the first pallet of T85.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:Bring on the first pallet of T85.
My mother had a friend, long gone to another place, who said I "had a leaning to the Priesthood". It was not until today that I realised that my ability to convert sinners to the path of enlightenment was indeed a gift to behold.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Bring on the first pallet of T85.
My mother had a friend, long gone to another place, who said I "had a leaning to the Priesthood". It was not until today that I realised that my ability to convert sinners to the path of enlightenment was indeed a gift to behold.
I think it's called a vocation. If you've got one my understanding is that you cannot escape it, however hard you try. Converting the heathen to Taylor '85 is a start, but aspects of the priesthood may prove troubling should you join up...

Now what's the title of this thread again?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

LGTrotter wrote:Now what's the title of this thread again?
Now I remember;
Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:It has shown much better than it used to at a few recent tastings. I checked the TNs here yesterday. AHB consistently rates it in the 88/89 range with three bottles achieving 91/92. That isn't bad Port.

The Fonseca is undoubtedly better, but has gone weird. As for Graham, it is lovely but I have heard questions raised about its longevity and it doesn't score as highly as Fonseca at its best.

AHB and JDAW (and others, I think) have commented on the recent improvement in T85. It's not just me! (and it certainly isn't a unicorn, but don't tell the Yanks or they will buy it all and drive up the price).
"Isn't bad Port" doesn't warrant a comparison to either F85 or G85, and that's what I've been seeing from the Brit side of the pond. I'm perfectly willing to believe that the newt that was T85 has got better, but I cannot see how it is comparable to F85 or G85 even if those are both experiencing down phases.

Yes, technically, there are questions about G85's longevity. It might peak at 40 years instead of 50. :roll: But it does score as high as F85 at their best, at least for some people. I'm one of them, and it has happened blind at least 3 times. One of those times I even thought I'd already identified G85 and scored it lower than F85 (which was easily identifiable), but I was wrong and my WOTN was in fact G85. T85 has never even been close.

For clarity, I like G85 better for drinking right now but I think F85 has a longer life ahead of it. And that's not just because I'll likely drink all of my G85 before both are fully mature.
I have just spotted the faint twitting of the Graham 85. This is not on and must be stopped. I too have heard of the issues about the longevity of the 85s, but then I remember the same questions about the 1970. And they were tosh too. Port as good as the Graham 85 won't fall off the perch suddenly.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think you are both (Owen and Glenn) missing the point I am making.

I have not said at any point that T85 is better or the same as F85 or G85. All I have said is that it now seems to be better than it used to be. Both JDAW and AHB have said the same. Given that the price is still reasonable I think it is worth a punt, even just to keep your grubby hands off the G and the F.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1985 Fonseca

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:keep your grubby hands off the G and the F.
With these stern words, the organist's mother unwittingly gave birth to pentatonic music.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote: But recently T85 has blossomed into an excellent Port, much better than F85 as it currently is.
Ah yes, I am confabulating the two 'yes' campaigners for the T85, my apologies.

Better than the Fonseca, never heard the like in all my puff, I ask you. What kind of a man would say something like that, blah blah...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:
jdaw1 wrote: But recently T85 has blossomed into an excellent Port, much better than F85 as it currently is.
Ah yes, I am confabulating the two 'yes' campaigners for the T85, my apologies.

Better than the Fonseca, never heard the like in all my puff, I ask you. What kind of a man would say something like that, blah blah...
Ah yes, I was doing the same.

{sackcloth and ashes}
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent. We are all agreed that T85 is splendid value for money.

I can't remember that last time I had the G85. I wonder how it is doing?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I am saying more than DRT. UK-stored F85 is grade-A fabulous port, currently bothered by a little acne. T85 would normally be the junior of the two, but she has just returned from a cure, bathing in Icelandic springs / the Dead Sea / Falkland Sound, and is so radiant that she is, at this moment, the finer of the two sisters. But the cheekbones of F85 will carry her further and better into her dotage.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:I am saying more than DRT. UK-stored F85 is grade-A fabulous port, currently bothered by a little acne. T85 would normally be the junior of the two, but she has just returned from a cure, bathing in Icelandic springs / the Dead Sea / Falkland Sound, and is so radiant that she is, at this moment, the finer of the two sisters. But the cheekbones of F85 will carry her further and better into her dotage.
I can imagine SCP-DFF rolling her eyes right now...
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:Excellent. We are all agreed that T85 is splendid value for money.
Not sure I'd go that far. Taylor, Graham, and Fonseca are all available for the same $80 in the US right now. (Graham for $75, actually.) I would have multiple cases of both Graham and Fonseca at that price before I'd get my first bottle of Taylor.

Is it an excellent Port? Yes, it qualifies as such by my ratings, barely.

Is it improved? Sure, I'll believe that, though I haven't had it recently enough to say for sure.

But it is overpriced vs its contemporaries based on QPR, likely due to name alone. In the abstract it's a good value for a 29-yr old wine, but there are plenty of better values available both at its price level and at its quality level.
DRT wrote:I can't remember that last time I had the G85. I wonder how it is doing?
Terrible. Absolute rubbish. You should leave all of yours at TBH for me to pick up and dispose of for you.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I am saying more than DRT. UK-stored F85 is grade-A fabulous port, currently bothered by a little acne. T85 would normally be the junior of the two, but she has just returned from a cure, bathing in Icelandic springs / the Dead Sea / Falkland Sound, and is so radiant that she is, at this moment, the finer of the two sisters. But the cheekbones of F85 will carry her further and better into her dotage.
No, that was me. It was such an epic eye-roll that you could see it from across the pond.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

All are available at around £50 +duty +VAT in the UK. There's no big differential; but whereas T85 is plentiful, G85 has the dentures of a pullet.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
No, that was me. It was such an epic eye-roll that you could see it from across the pond.
And across the Baltic to Berlin. Jeez, your sockets must be sore..
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:I can't remember that last time I had the G85. I wonder how it is doing?
It is a joyous and loud acclamation of life, and will remain so until both of us are pushing up the daisies.

Glenn; I think you're right and Derek is overplaying his hand.

However let me show my colours and say that I have never cared for Taylor. It is generally over priced, for no readily apparent reason, the style is better done elsewhere and it takes itself far too seriously. Like people who take themselves too seriously it is difficult to be around and sucks all the fun out of a room.

That's what I think of Taylor!
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
djewesbury wrote:I can imagine SCP-DFF rolling her eyes right now...
And across the Baltic to Berlin. Jeez, your sockets must be sore..
And back across to Wessex.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Surely the only way to assess the accuracy of this statement is to sample both sisters side-by-side?
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Pearls before swine?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
Surely the only way to assess the accuracy of this statement is to sample both sisters side-by-side?
I don't like the way this analogy is going.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:Excellent. We are all agreed that T85 is splendid value for money.
Not sure I'd go that far. Taylor, Graham, and Fonseca are all available for the same $80 in the US right now. (Graham for $75, actually.) I would have multiple cases of both Graham and Fonseca at that price before I'd get my first bottle of Taylor.

Is it an excellent Port? Yes, it qualifies as such by my ratings, barely.

Is it improved? Sure, I'll believe that, though I haven't had it recently enough to say for sure.

But it is overpriced vs its contemporaries based on QPR, likely due to name alone. In the abstract it's a good value for a 29-yr old wine, but there are plenty of better values available both at its price level and at its quality level.
Another misinterpretation of my post. I didn't say it was better value than its peers. But it is better value than lots of its siblings.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:Another misinterpretation of my post. I didn't say it was better value than its peers. But it is better value than lots of its siblings.
Then we do agree; Taylor 85, like all other Taylor is overpriced, and should be ignored.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:lots of its siblings.
Surely it only has one sibling? Croft wasn't a TFP brand in 1985 was it..? Are there others?

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood; you mean its younger and older brethren. Yes, I see.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Surely the only way to assess the accuracy of this statement is to sample both sisters side-by-side?
Mrs W.: “Now I’m rolling my eyes.”
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Surely the only way to assess the accuracy of this statement is to sample both sisters side-by-side?
Mrs W.: “Now I’m rolling my eyes.”
+1
I think the sisters would need to be pretty short-sighted to agree to be 'sampled' by anyone here (the incredibly handsome ones excepted of course, could you please identify yourselves?)
Daniel J.