White port

Anything to do with Port.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

White port

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Whilst tidying up the 'cellar' the other day, I found a bottle of Churchill White Port staring at me with a reproachful look. Like the unfeeling brute I am, I had forgotten its existence for a couple of years.

This type of port is hardly mentioned on the Forum, or elsewhere. I know that Churchill is supposed to be one of the better whites, but little more. I am thinking of letting it join its friends this weekend; do any of you see it as more than an aperitif or have any other views on whether this is a sadly or understandably neglected wine?
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Terrible.

Post by jdaw1 »

Terrible. I’ll find a link to a TN for you.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Churchill’s White Porto

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=2641]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Seen in a local store for $17+tax was Churchill’s White Porto, bought on a whim and tried after leaving it in the fridge for 90 minutes. Not enjoyed at all. Methanol on the nose, and lots of alcohol on nose and taste. Despite being described on the bottle as having a “dry nutty finish† I thought the finish saccharine and simple, though of reasonable length. No complexity. Avoid.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

It makes a good Port and Tonic 88)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Or a white wine sauce :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PortDude
Cheap Ruby

Re: White port

Post by PortDude »

Overtired and emotional wrote:...I had forgotten its existence for a couple of years.
OK - that, to me, is a clear indicator that you should give that bottle to your worst enemy. Nothing wrong with forgetting about bottles for a couple of years :wink: but if you're talking about a white Port, it will most probably be no good by now.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Well, that's cheered me up.

I consumed its twin a while back, and did not see very much point then. Having said that, I'm always wary of first impressions, hence this post. My preferred means of priming the pump, especially whilst cooking, is sherry, but that's another story.

John
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I tried the Dow White Port once and thought it was tasty.... About 10 years ago so don't ask me for TN's...

I'd like to hear about some White Ports that are recommneded and not a fortune to buy.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

mosesbotbol wrote:I'd like to hear about some White Ports that are recommneded and not a fortune to buy.
I like these:
- Niepoort Dry white, Extrta Dry White and Ultrasec
- Quinta d. Marrocos Meio Seco
- Quinta d. Baldias Dry White
- Quinta d. Casa Amarela White
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Having screwed my courage to the sticking place, I tried my Churchills with some smoked salmon. It was alright, not poisonous, but, equally, not something to long for. The fish would have been better with a fino or manzanilla.

I suppose that we do not realise how lucky we are to have a wine trade which can provide exactly the right wine for any occasion so that white port does not seem as wonderful here as it might in Portugal itself.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm too late, but I love the stuff. Long glass, loads of ice, and a belly full of wine and beer to precede it. Lovely nightcap, to firmly state you have alcohol issues and the following morning will be delicate.

Alan