1985 Borges

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1985 Borges

Post by winesecretary »

A bottle probably in poor condition, but noted here because not previously noted that I can find. It was a seeper and when the foil and wax were removed it was found that the cork had fallen into the bottle. The colour was more orange in the decanting funnel but a light cloudy ruby in the decanter.

+ 1 hour

In the glass more hints of cloudy bronze than ruby- looks more like a 40 year old tawny. Some mint on the nose, and some caramel. In the mouth just not a lot going on. Some raisins. Long persistent warming aftertaste, its best feature, with some star anise. This is a slightly flawed example, but I am not convinced that even a good bottle of this would be a half-decent port.

Half of it has gone into the ragu currently puttering in the slow cooker and the other half has been reserved for a future cooking occasion. Not one of which I feel the need to look for a bottle in better condition.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1985 Borges

Post by winesecretary »

It was a good ragu.