Tasting Notes Section

Make suggestions and report problems.
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 03:27 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:Announcement or Sticky?
Sticky.

Announcements are temporary, Stickys are permanent. At least they are in my head.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 03:32 Fri 05 Sep 2008

Announcements are more important. They appear above stickies, and appear at the top of every page (go to page 3 of the TNs).

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 03:37 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:Announcements are more important. They appear above stickies, and appear at the top of every page (go to page 3 of the TNs).
You are making my point for me. The TN Index threads should (and will), under normal circumstances be at the top of the TN Forum Index. However, if we need to make an announcement to inform people of a significant event or change affecting the TN forum we would want that announcement to temporarily supercede the Index threads so that people see it first. Once the announcement has no significant meaning or impact it would be removed or down-graded to a normal topic. The TN Index threads would then resume their place at the top of the Forum.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 03:39 Fri 05 Sep 2008

Have just read your post again with the benefit of another glass of Morgan 1991. I now agree with you. Make them both Announcements. I will leave it to you to figure out how to get them in alphabetical order.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 03:51 Fri 05 Sep 2008

Both announcements, and also the format thread.

Meanwhile, we drink more eighty-fives than any other year. We also over-consume 2000s and 1994s, which are far too young.
75 Ã 1985
61 Ã 2000
57 Ã 1994
54 Ã 1977
47 Ã 1970
45 Ã 1963
34 Ã 1983
31 Ã 1966
31 Ã 1995
30 Ã 1991
29 Ã 1997
26 Ã 1980
25 Ã 2001
25 Ã 2001
24 Ã 1996
24 Ã 2003
24 Ã 2003
24 Ã 2003
24 Ã NV
21 Ã 1987
18 Ã 1975
18 Ã 1988
15 Ã 1992
13 Ã 1989
13 Ã 2005
13 Ã 2005
12 Ã 1955
11 Ã 1998
11 Ã 1999
11 Ã 20y
10 Ã 1978
9 Ã 1960
8 Ã 1927
8 Ã 2004
8 Ã 2004
8 Ã 2004
7 Ã 1967
7 Ã 1982
6 Ã 1990
5 Ã 1968
5 Ã 1986
5 Ã 2002
5 Ã 2002
5 Ã 2002
5 Ã 10Y
4 Ã 1912
4 Ã 1920
4 Ã 1937
4 Ã 1945
4 Ã 1948
4 Ã 1950
4 Ã 1974
4 Ã 1976
4 Ã 1979
3 Ã 1931
3 Ã 1935
3 Ã 1947
3 Ã 1952
3 Ã 1958
3 Ã 1962
3 Ã 1964
3 Ã 1965
3 Ã 2006
2 Ã 1863
2 Ã 1890
2 Ã 1908
2 Ã 1917
2 Ã 1957
2 Ã 1984
1 Ã 1830
1 Ã 1853
1 Ã 1875
1 Ã 1896
1 Ã 1900
1 Ã 1906
1 Ã 1924
1 Ã 1933
1 Ã 1934
1 Ã 1940
1 Ã 1941
1 Ã 1944
1 Ã 1961
1 Ã 1971
1 Ã ‘believed vintage’

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 03:53 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:Both announcements, and also the format thread.

Meanwhile, we drink more eighty-fives than any other year. We also over-consume 2000s and 1994s, which are far too young.
Agreed. But we have a higher than average consumption of 1830s :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 03:59 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:we drink more eighty-fives than any other year.
It is particularly entertaining to see that I have been singularly or jointly responsible for the demise of 6 x Fonseca 1985s and on each occassion commented that it is too young to drink :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 04:05 Fri 05 Sep 2008

Whereas I am the definitive only TPF expert in 1908s. Smugness.

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2622
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:55 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:
Meanwhile, we drink more eighty-fives than any other year. We also over-consume 2000s and 1994s, which are far too young.
And who says us American's are the only ones who drink them young...I guess this proves otherwise :mrgreen:

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by JacobH » 18:24 Fri 05 Sep 2008

What we are really missing from the analysis is some graphs. No doubt jdaw1 could improve on the following:

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 21:14 Fri 05 Sep 2008

I’ve marked you down as an enemy of Edward Tufte.

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12274
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by AHB » 22:29 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:This? I have removed the links from the house names, because their great number would otherwise overwhelm.

Was only a little bother, but having been done, won’t be much to maintain.
I've just taken a quick look at the new "Year -> Shipper" index. Very useful and interesting. Thanks.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 22:43 Fri 05 Sep 2008

Small bug in both indexes, to be fixed when next updated. They are sorted by the year field, in ascending order. So 1900 comes before 1927. So far, so good: oldest first. But this also means that “10Y† comes before “20Y†, so tawnies are youngest first. Ooops. Extra code will be added.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 23:09 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:Small bug in both indexes, to be fixed when next updated. They are sorted by the year field, in ascending order. So 1900 comes before 1927. So far, so good: oldest first. But this also means that “10Y† comes before “20Y†, so tawnies are youngest first. Ooops. Extra code will be added.
I think 10, 20, 30, 40 is a natural progression that one would find in any wine list. I think the contrast between that at date order for VPs is entirely acceptable and apropriate.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by JacobH » 23:20 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:I’ve marked you down as an enemy of Edward Tufte.
That was oddly serendipitous. For a while now I’ve cited the critique on the use of PowerPoint by NASA in the Columbia Crash when explaining why PowerPoint is almost always unhelpful and possibly detrimental to the quality of a talk, without knowing who it was by, or that the author had written extensively on this and similar subjects. I might have to acquire a copy of his book! (If it’s any good?)
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Small bug in both indexes, to be fixed when next updated. They are sorted by the year field, in ascending order. So 1900 comes before 1927. So far, so good: oldest first. But this also means that “10Y† comes before “20Y†, so tawnies are youngest first. Ooops. Extra code will be added.
I think 10, 20, 30, 40 is a natural progression that one would find in any wine list. I think the contrast between that at date order for VPs is entirely acceptable and apropriate.
Although there is a bit of UK bias on this board…I was a bit surprised when I realised that we don’t have any 30 year-old or 40+ year-old TNs.
Image

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 23:23 Fri 05 Sep 2008

DRT wrote:I think 10, 20, 30, 40 is a natural progression that one would find in any wine list. I think the contrast between that at date order for VPs is entirely acceptable and apropriate.
So you want VPs oldest-to-youngest, but tawnies youngest-to-oldest. OK. Is that the consensus?

And yes, Tufte is excellent.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by JacobH » 23:34 Fri 05 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:I think 10, 20, 30, 40 is a natural progression that one would find in any wine list. I think the contrast between that at date order for VPs is entirely acceptable and apropriate.
So you want VPs oldest-to-youngest, but tawnies youngest-to-oldest. OK. Is that the consensus?
That would make sense to me (though I might be tempted either to put Tawnies before the VPs, as there are so few of them, or have a note at the start mentioning that they are at the end).
jdaw1 wrote:And yes, Tufte is excellent.
As one of a very few Americans who uses Gill Sans, I though he might :). Shame there are no super-cheap versions on Amazon…I might have to splash out the cost of a bottle of Port on a book for once!
Image

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 23:53 Fri 05 Sep 2008

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Edward R. Tufte, costing a mere $25.20, and cheap at twice the price. (Costing £26 at .co.uk: buy it in the USA.)

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2283
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by JacobH » 00:08 Sat 06 Sep 2008

jdaw1 wrote:The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Edward R. Tufte, costing a mere $25.20, and cheap at twice the price. (Costing £26 at .co.uk: buy it in the USA.)
Thanks for that, unfortunately a bit late: I ordered one from the .co.uk site from an affiliate. At £13, I think it was about the the same price, depending on how low the GBP has fallen.
Image

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 00:17 Sat 06 Sep 2008

JacobH wrote: Although there is a bit of UK bias on this board…I was a bit surprised when I realised that we don’t have any 30 year-old or 40+ year-old TNs.
I know that ADV, SEAN C, Stewart Todd and I shared the Noval 30 and 40 yr old with in VNG last year and ADV, AHB, Stewart Todd and I shared the Taylor equivalents at Vargellas in 2006. I have no notes from either of these tastings but I am fairly certain AHB and ADV will have so perhaps they could fill the void? :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12274
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by AHB » 07:38 Sat 06 Sep 2008

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote: Although there is a bit of UK bias on this board…I was a bit surprised when I realised that we don’t have any 30 year-old or 40+ year-old TNs.
I know that ADV, SEAN C, Stewart Todd and I shared the Noval 30 and 40 yr old with in VNG last year and ADV, AHB, Stewart Todd and I shared the Taylor equivalents at Vargellas in 2006. I have no notes from either of these tastings but I am fairly certain AHB and ADV will have so perhaps they could fill the void? :wink:

Derek
Sadly, I do not have any notes on the Taylor 30 and 40 yo tawnies. As has been commented on from time to time, I am slower than average in my tasting and note making. On our visit to Vargellas, there were a large number of vintage ports that I wanted to taste and to record my thoughts thereon. To make sure I had enough time to work at my pace, I decided not to taste the tawnies.

Alex
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21529
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by jdaw1 » 21:58 Sat 06 Sep 2008

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Small bug in both indexes, to be fixed when next updated. They are sorted by the year field, in ascending order. So 1900 comes before 1927. So far, so good: oldest first. But this also means that “10Y† comes before “20Y†, so tawnies are youngest first. Ooops. Extra code will be added.
I think 10, 20, 30, 40 is a natural progression that one would find in any wine list. I think the contrast between that at date order for VPs is entirely acceptable and apropriate.
So far there have been two opinions, Derek and I disagreeing. Please could others express a preference? Oldest-to-youngest, or smallest-number-to-largest-number?

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3401
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by Glenn E. » 05:02 Sun 07 Sep 2008

I think anything with a year - VP, colheita - should be listed oldest first.

And I agree with Derek that 10Y, 20Y, 30Y, 40Y is a natural progression for tawnies with an indication of age.

So I guess that means I don't see a problem with the current sorting... it just works out.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15478
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by DRT » 09:32 Sun 07 Sep 2008

Current score:

Common Sense: 2
Pedantry: 1
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12274
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tasting Notes Section

Post by AHB » 21:46 Sun 07 Sep 2008

Common sense 3
Pedantry 1
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

Post Reply