1945 Ferreira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1945 Ferreira

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pale red in colour, very light centre. Sweet on the nose, bringing quince and cinammon. Sweet and beautifully elegant in the mouth. Lots of redcurrants and a wonderful complexity all over the tongue and cheeks. A long, gentle and carressing aftertaste. This is a fabulous wine and was the best wine for drinking on the night. 94/100. A superb example of Ferreira’s style of elegance and complexity and an equally good example of the quality of the 1945 vintage.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1945 Ferreira vintage port

Post by DRT »

DRT: "Oh! What is that smell?"
AHB: "Quince?"
DRT: "Yes, it definitely smells Portuguese"

I had obviously crossed that boundary between sobriety and the TPF Glow :lol:

Mid-weight, chocolate, cherry. Slightly hot with mint (ARK thought spearmint) on the end. Great juice.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Glorious rich orangey colour and went down a treat, but more than that takes my recollection into a blur..

Good wine!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+48ish Hours
Fabulous colour and a very delicate spicy nose. OMG gorgeous in the mouth. Silky smooth, great texture and very much alive. Red fruits fade into caramel and then a little worm glow. Effin gorgeous stuff. Not bad for a youngster from this house :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn